Apple game console?

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by jimbeam, May 8, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Was reading this and just thought about how great it could be.

An apple game console, added to the appleTV and mini. Not really just the mini, but every Mac. A cheap, low spec ipod touch as the controller and an option to use all existing iphone and ipod touch's as controllers.

They already have everything they need to make it happen. All they need to do is make the whole appstore system they have for the mac and appleTV. They have all the major developers and basement dev's think apple already, with the iphone/ipod touch. With the low cost of entry and the low overhead, having apple distribute there product right in the hands of the customer, if they could pull the same thing with the appleTV and mac's, I think dev's wuld be a over it.

I'm not saying they will beat the xbox or ps3, but they could make a lot of money. The iphone and ipod touch dont really have anything on the DSi or psp, but, they hold there own and are making apple a lot of $$ and making a lot of owners happy.

So what do you guys think? would you buy an apple console or appleTV or mac if it could be used as a game console? Not high end like an xbox or ps3, think wii, from apple and the same distribution as the iphones appstore and it would work on all mac's.
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  3. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

Wow I've never even heard of that before.
  4. Qartin

Qartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great idea. A console that you can search the app store for new games and download them to your system to play. And use your iphone, or ipod touch as an wireless controller.

This would eliminate all the CDs, and hard plastic cases wasted away on Games for Xbox, Wii, and PS3. And would be easier for developers to bring games to a wider variety.

The games would be alot cheaper because they wouldnt need to ship them, or package them. It would be all done over the internet.

And basically everyone nowadays has high speed internet.
  5. fast1

fast1 Banned

me too

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Skeptikal

Skeptikal New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    that would be sick but apple released a game console but it failed horribly not sure what its called but looks pathetic by them hahahaha
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Not exactly. I'm talking about making an appstore like system for all apple products and using the iphone/ipod touch and/or a watered down cheap ipod touchs as a controler. No /one/ console really. Though appleTV could be considered a "console" with this.

Of course, without locking down all apple products the way they did the iphone.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Another thing I just thought about is, this could help them push OpenGL and OpenCL.

Was just reading this and started thinking.
  9. 1337BUHMILLION

1337BUHMILLION New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    all they need is an app store structure similar to the one implemented by the iPhoneOS, add it to apple TV, and you have the world's most popular game console.
  10. maczrule

maczrule New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i dont think apple would every enter the gaming market, or if they did not for a long time.
    but it would be cool but the gaming system would probably be overpriced

Please Register or Log in to view images