Apple Exec Phil Schiller Reaching Out to Rejected App Developers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Awesome, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    View original article here at TechCrunch:
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/15/phil-schiller-is-a-man-on-a-mission-to-save-the-app-store/

Please Register or Log in to view images

When Rising Card, a magic trick iPhone app, was rejected from the App Store, the creators were crushed: Six months of hard work went right down the drain. But they got help from an unexpected source: Apple Exec Phil Schiller.

The unfair rejection of Rising Card (Apple felt the magic trick app would be confusing to customers, which is sort of the point) led to the story being covered on a magic blog and then TUAW, and became just one more example of Apple's draconian and frequently ridiculous approval process. But Schiller personally contacted the developers to apologize and promise special attention for the app. A few days later, the app was officially approved.

This is a good sign from Apple: They must be hearing the rising pitch of grumbling from users and tech writers who are upset with the App Store's increasingly obvious faults. Of course, they're probably also aware that they're being sued for such weirdness as rejecting Google Voice, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. The lesson, it seems, is that the squeaky wheel gets individual attention from a high-ranking executive. Or something like that.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Nice story, but it doesn't solve the problem. Instead of "reaching out", which they can't do to ALL wrongly or semi-wrongly rejected developers, they should change the submission / review process. (Oh wait, where have I heard that before?)
  3. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yupp i completely agree!
  4. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Well, it's interesting to see a senior guy like Phil personally reaching out to the Rising Card guys and that's a good move on his part...

However, I do agree with Axis that Apple really need to revamp the entire selection and review process in the App Store... It certainly is so painful for a developer to find out that his app was rejected, making all the hard work go down the drain!
  5. Fodd1337

Fodd1337 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That's great now I want my iBoobs!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

But seriously, that is great what he is doing.
  6. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes it is very great and i hope he continues this.
  7. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    And i hope that the dictionary app that was rejected comes into the App Store.