Apple DIDN'T really Meet their Price goals

Discussion in 'iPad' started by #1 iPad Fan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Do you guys remember in the iPad Keynote that Apple said the pundits said it would cost $999? Well, the Pundits said it was 999 for an iPad with an Atom 1.ghz Processor, 2GB Ram and 256GB of HD space.

So what does that mean? I added up all of the prices of the parts (retail price sorry) and have figured out, the REAL cost of the iPad:

If Apple put a 256GB HD in there, The cost of the iPad would be 1100

If Apple put a 256GB HD in there, and 2GB Ram, the iPad would cost 1300

If Apple put a 256GB HD in there, and 2GB Ram, and a 1.6GHZ Processor, it would cost over 1600.

So If the iPad HAD the specs noted by the pundits, It would cost 1600, which is much more expensive than the pundit's prices.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, just compare it to an ipod touch. A 32gig ipod will cost about 300 but a 32 gig ipad will cost about 600. Just depends on whether you think the ipad is twice as good as an ipod touch. (To me its not, even though i love the ipad)
    The 3g models are extra ridiculous tho. $130 extra for a 3g chip?? I don't think so. Especially if you are paying $30/ month on top of that.
  3. Utterly Elite

Utterly Elite New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apple can do whatever they want, because they know the number of people who realize that they're being overcharged is a lot less than the number of people who just love things that are sleek and shiny and have little silver apples on them.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    *sigh*

Do we really have to go here again?

The fact is you pay for the software... why? Because the software works seamlessly with the hardware, the fact that it DOESN'T crash every few days, the fact that YOU DON'T have to go searching for drivers everywhere.

Why do Zune's and other devices fail? Because they don't put enough research into software and design, if it doesn't look good aesthetically people won't buy it.
  5. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The problem with "pundits" is that they don't know jack sh*t and are paid to spout off bullsh*t 24/7, which doesn't make them an entirely reliable source. Is $499 a fair price? I don't know (although I suspect it is, seeing as I remember paying close to that much for a 4GB EDGE iPhone a few years ago). Also, your assumption that hard-drive prices or mass-produced RAM prices for computer parts have ANYTHING to do with flash prices and custom RAM chips for a specific niche product is incorrect. I'm not an Apple lover or hater (although I do vote for some of their products with my wallet), but I can't stand unfounded bashing of a product or service.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Apple makes a profit on this. So does any other company that sells anything.

So is $499 a fair price? I own one and to me, yes, it is a fair price. Apple could lower it, but they wouldn't make such a large profit. Is it an incredible device? Yes. Do I use it every day? Yes. Does it replace my computer or phone? No. Did I want it to? No. So what do I use it for? Email, movies, all of my web browsing.
    To me, personally, $499 is a fair price for it. I'd gladly pay less, but considering the time and ways I use the iPad I don't regret the price.
  7. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Since people always b*tch about the price I'm gonna post this:

Going by "geek" terms, if it costs as much as a decent Dell laptop, then it ain't freakin' expensive. Regardless of hardware! Why? Because that Inspiron 15's original cost was $679. Now who's cheap?
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So you're comparing a tablet to a laptop?
  9. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I needed to rant. Anyway, if they compare to a laptop, then I'm gonna compare to a laptop.

Edit: Ya' know I shoulda gone with the 17.
  10. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    A Zunes and PCs don't fail. I've been running Windows XP on my old desktop for almost 8 years and it never crashed or got a virus.

My friend has had a Zune HD since September, and it never crapped out on him.

I wont deny Mac OS X is much more stable than Windows, or that iPhone OS is more stable than Zune, but as long as you are not downloading virus ridden *******s and watching malware filled pr0n all day, ur PC will run great.