Apple can run diagnostics to see if you have JB'n your touch ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThrowAway, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

I just read this on another Apple site -

Yeah there is a misconception that a simple restore will make it untraceable and thats not true. When geniuses hook it up to run diagnostics they can see deleted programs. I saw them bust a kid today. It was hilarious. He was telling the genius some crap about his battery being bad and the charging being messed up. The Genius said ok let me run diagnostics and when he did (i was peeking at the screen) it showed springboard on there. The genius called him out in front of about 20 people and i thought the kid was gonna cry. He was like i swear i never jailbroke it sir and the genius was like listen kid i can see springboard right here. He told the little whipper snapper that he was not replacing his iphone. It was great

Does anyone reckon this is true or BS?
  2. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Hmmmm thats very interesting.... i would really like to know too.
  3. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Eh, i don't know for sure but doesn't 3 restores fully remove EVERY slot of data from the iPhone. Or i thought i read somewhere this doesn't affect the iPod Touch?

Either way, i couldn't care less. If it truly breaks then they won't know it's been JB. If its half broken (i.e. battery issues) self-repair ftw.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Put the pieces together.
    • The Apple Genius claimed to see SpringBoard.
    • The kid claimed his battery went bad.

The apple genius didn't know that the kid had jailbroken. Instead, what he saw was a kid that was trying to bring his 1G iPod back to get a new 2G iPod.
  5. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That is a good point.

But with genius, i thought it just looked at song info through itunes, not through your ipod/iphone... So i dont see how they can do that if it only looks at itunes...
  6. drstein

drstein New Member

Where did you invent that number from? why 3 full restores? why not 7 or 23?

There is a basic rule in computer science. Rather than erasing things, it is waay much faster to simply tell the program that that area of teh memory is empty...that is, files are not deleted until something else is written on top of them. Until that moment everything can be restored...

Thus it sounds logic that an emergency recovery software from apple recovers all "erased" data. If the kid had just done a reset...all the JB files were there. If you want apple not discovering you JBed your ipod you-ll have to reset all data and use up to the last bit of memory space the ipod has
  7. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Would it have to be every last part of memory? Lets say i had 2 gigs of data on my iphone whilst JB'd. Now i restored, and put say 4 gigs of data on my iphone, but it still wasn't full. Would it overwrite the 2 gigs of jailbroken data? or is it stored in "random" places on the chip so it has to be completely filled up?
  8. drstein

drstein New Member

To answer this question I would need to know more on how does the ipod file system work...but I guess that the "rather safe than sorry" works! So fill your ipod up and you-ll have nothing to worry about

Please Register or Log in to view images

As a fun thing. it seems that MI6 agents forgot this simple precaution. Take a look at http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/30/141254 and laugh at Double O's computer skills
  9. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Sorry buddy, but SpringBoard has nothing to do with Jailbreaking.
  10. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    They ran mine through the same process when my home button had issues and it showed nothing and I got a new refurb in less than 10 mins. It had been jailbroken many many times and I didn't have a bunch of data added to overwrite anything.