Apple bashing ... valid questions ...

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by slyn4ice, Feb 6, 2008.

1. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am posting in this category only because my post doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. But here it is anyways.

I am not someone who would start bashing a product without any particular reason, and wouldn't waste my time writing about it.

That being said, am I the only one who thinks iPod Touch has a POS sound quality for what is supposedly a DAP? I know, most people just use it for anything but music but I occasionally like to listen to some tunes. Unfortunately, this is turning to be a friggin nightmare and I have to reside to my old and trusty iAudio X5 (which despite being 3 years old can make the sound of Sepultura run like honey in your ears, seriously, hats off to you Cowon).

I am writing this just after one of my favorite Bjork songs got ripped to pieces by the sh*tty equalizer of my touch. Just to prove i am not someone with oversensitive ears ready to complain about the most minuscule differences, i have just tested the whole album with all of the equalizer settings. For all songs at least 70% of the settings gave noticeable sound distortions and downright screeching noises at 60% volume. Most of the time bass boost on any setting craps the sh*t out of my headphones and makes me want to eat my own ears. Same goes for treble, with the only difference that I want to feed my ears to Steve Jobs.

I mean, Apple keeps on saying "Oh, you gotta pay for your apps because iPod Touch is noting but a music player with a browser, so these come extra.". But if this is the case then why the hell don't you first make sure that plays music well? (Yeah, if you make your music library agree with buggy iTunes, it will show nice pictures as well, great ... but a DAP is a player first, organizer second).
    I am really confused... None of the updates seem to do anything of value. Don't even start me on the multi-tab Safari bug that makes multi-tab browsing almost useless or at least highly annoying. What the hell are they doing?

In conclusion, I respect the iPod Touch for what it isn't - an ultra portable gadget, but have no respect for what it is - a crappy music player with the sound quality of a horse fart.

just my 100 yen.

p.s. Bjork and Lisa Gerrard - you have been avenged.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

1. It's not supposed to be the audiophile player. It is simply for those that want to have their music wherever they are. If you're unhappy with that, buy a different player, get better quality music, or buy better headphones.

2. Updates:
    Release to 1.1.1 -> Fixed bugs, fixed black contrast issue with screen.
    1.1.1 to 1.1.2 -> Fixed bugs, bumped speed to 412 MHz, patched TIFF exploit, added add calendar event in Calendar, added battery meter in iTunes.
    1.1.2 to 1.1.3 -> Added iPhone dock, ability to play movies, CAPABILITY for the January Software Upgrade with all of the apps IN the file system, just not shown.

If you jailbreak, you can add pretty much anything for 1.1.3, including wiggly icons, iPhone apps, etc.
  3. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You missed my point

Please Register or Log in to view images

I am not an audiophile (though I respect my hearing aids, a.k.a. my ears), yet it still sounds like crap

. I am very tolerant, but iPod pushed me over the edge. My headphones is a fairly reasonable Sennheiser pair and no - they are not broken. Music quality is standard for mp3s - 192kbps.
    As far as the updates - as i said, nothing worthy of a DAP update

plus iPot can play movies from the start not only from update 1.1.3.

But again, my point is this - Apple has been locking stuff out (and asking money for) of iPod touch on the pretext that its just a music player. Which is why i am looking at it from the perspective of a music player in this case, not a multi-purpose gadget....

I have it jailbroken from day one but thanks for the advice.
  4. whilechukwuzout

whilechukwuzout New Member

im not a bjork fan but the video for all is full of love is pretty sick.

that being said, check out this site...

http://www.slate.com/id/2113059/

it worked for me.
  5. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I recently switched my earbuds to big 80's looking headphones. I look like a dork, but the music sounds 100% better

6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The headphones are a big part of the sound quality. From my experience, no earbuds connected to any mp3 player give great sound. And yes, I have great ears for picking out minutia in music, and have to.

Given that I listen to the majority of my music through Studio Monitors just makse the iPod earbuds seem that much worse. That said, when I replace the earbuds with the monitors,the sound is greatly improved.
  7. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "whilechukwuzout" - thanks for the link - pretty nice article.

As for headphones - i have a Sennheiser HD 215 and an older version of their HD 650 (they have been so heavily used the writing on the side is gone but my dad paid about $500 for them and they look exactly like the 650), Panasonic earbuds. With all earphones the sound quality is worse when using the iPod (compared to the iAudio) but not unbearably so. Once the equalizer is applied though - thats when my head starts hurting.
  8. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

fixed

and yes the amount of money apple is selling it (not jailbroken) it is WAY overpriced.