Apple Background Changer PNG compatible?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by UberNub, Aug 16, 2009.

1. UberNub

UberNub New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, I was wondering why the Apple Backgrounder theme can not use pngs, only jpegs. I'd really like to be able to use pngs so I can see my bgs in full quality.

And if Apple Backgrounder can't due to coding is there an alternate or work-around?
  2. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I see Backgrounds is called Backgrounder.app in iFunBox.

Nevertheless, I think your question is about Wallpaper... saved screenshots (hold power switch and home button for a short time at the same time) may be used as Wallpaper. Either .png or .jpg "work" sorta. I'll explain.

It is possible, if Touch 3.0, to import the finished .png into the Camera 2 > Misc folder using iFunBox. Then in Photos > touch the screen and touch the symbol in the lower left hand corner) and then, touch Use As Wallpaper > Set Wallpaper. This never worked for me. It always shows up on the Lockscreen. However, that's okay, for me.

Backgrounder, found in Cydia, is for running apps in the Background.

Backgrounds is an iTunes App Store app that has photos for wallpaper. However, it also always ends up on my Lockscreen. If I plug-in the power, I get my Lockscreen I selected in WinterBoard. I happen to like that.

If you want to change the Wallpaper, I recommend the Redsn0w jailbreak, select Cydia (ignore Icy) and download and install WinterBoard found in Cydia. In WinterBoard checkmark User Wallpaper, moving the selection at or near the top of the list.

Then, a 320x480 Save As "transparent" .png should work.

Download and install a theme, you like, found in Cydia.

In iFunBox, free software, with the iPhone/Touch plugged in your PC/MAC or laptop put the desired .png into

/private/var/stash/Themes.XXXXXX/[Theme Name]

named "Wallpaper.png" or equivalent you see in that theme, you have selected.

It is helpful to backup the folder, first, saving it to Desktop or a handy folder you made.

Remove the theme existing Wallpaper.png before you substitute your Wallpaper.png

If someone else knows how to get your wallpaper in the Settings > Wallpapers folder successfully and select your wallpaper in there, I too, would like to know.

I can see the two sizes, in there.

I tried it. I "farkled" my Wallpapers folder.

Unless someone else knows that HowTo, stay out of that folder.
  3. UberNub

UberNub New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I already have a jailbroken Ipod.
    What I'm talking about it a winterboard theme that rotates wallpapers on your springboard.
    I was wondering why you couldn't use png files.
  4. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Look in the Wallpaper.html file. Find the names of the images you're using. Change their extensions from .jpg to .png. Done.
  5. UberNub

UberNub New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is that really it?
    I thought there might be some problem with load time or something like that being the reason behind why it can't be png...
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nope. The Wallpaper.html looks for specific file names when it loads the images, and the extension's part of the file name. If you use a PNG when the HTML is looking for JPG, it won't find it.
  7. UberNub

UberNub New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok thx.
    Time to redownload my wallpapers. >.>