Apple and paying to patch security flaws

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by keegan123, Jun 18, 2009.

1. keegan123

keegan123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I saw an article on /. and commented on it here: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/...rs-Prodigious-Patch-Batch?art_pos=1&art_pos=1

I wanted to see what this crowd thinks about this, since you also might be stuck with this issue. Basically, Apple is giving us 2.2 firmware with 12 security fixes. If you want all 46 of the security fixes, you're going to have to pay $10 for the update. Sure, 80% of the people here will just pirate it, but what about the legitimate customers apple is leaving un-protected? I don't know about you, but I have personal information on my ipod, like email, documents etc. The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is wipe it and put it on ebay.

So, what do you think about this decision by Apple?
  2. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I think your threat to sell your ipod is an idle one. If not you are lacking some basic information or common sense one.

First lets look at a few things. Every wireless encryption has been crack as of today. SSL3 is vulnerable to man in the middle and SSL1 and 2 are cracked. So if you were brave enough to use anything personal you don't want getting out over wireless before you know about the safari security issues(the only one of concern the others are arbitrary local exploits and unless you leave ssh open your not vulnerable but by the safari issue), then you were no better protected then than you are now nor are you if you have the patches.

Basic logic, if you transmit something over the airwaves, it can be intercepted, and with enough desire and time it can be cracked.

Now on to the bit about Apple not patching the issues for free. Yes this is bad form and I'm sure they are going to feel a serious backlash from it, possibly some lawsuits at which point they will begin offering OS3 for free to all device owners. There is always the GM release if your on the developer list. This may be the route I go when I do decide to update.

Just remember wireless is not secure no mater what measures you take, this includes cellular communications.
  3. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry, but what are you talking about? 2.2 firmware update for $10?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple should be forced to provide all security updates for free to all ipod owners not only those who paid for 3.0.