Apple and AT&T May Be Forced To Break Up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Germany, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Germany

Germany Banned

Please Register or Log in to view images

Four U.S. Senators have sent a letter regarding cell phone exclusivity to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). There have been more and more recent concerns about exclusivity becoming anti-competitive and limiting consumers' choices in the market. Giving consumers a full range of features at their hand is also another problem. For example, new iPhone 3GS users may want to use internet tethering or send MMS messages, but AT&T (exclusive carrier) is incapable of those features at this time. The users are left with nothing in that respect and could possibly use those features on other networks. It isn't just the iPhone and AT&T that are causing concern. We are seeing more phones becoming exclusivities such as Sprint's Palm Pre and T-Mobile's G1.

The Senators who have sent the letter are John Kerry (D-Mass.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), and Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.). Another main point brought up in the letter is a concern about the choices of rural users. Some carriers don't have coverage in their areas, thus, forcing them to select a different carrier, and possibly pushing them away from a phone they would normally have bought.

What are your thoughts on this letter and the possibility of more phone-carrier freedom in the future?

Source: PCWorld
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Insteresting. I fully support this. It seems as though Apple is encouraging some form of monopoly...

You should submit this to the front page.
  3. Germany

Germany Banned

I fully support this as well. AT&T is especially holding down the potential of the iPhone. I think the Palm Pre and G1 would also be more successful if they weren't exclusives. The market would be more competitive and I think consumers wouldn't be as hesitant to buy new phones.

One concern that I have is the possibility of one carrier to become dominant. The cell phone market could flourish, but we don't really want a monopoly on the carrier side.
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yeah, its kind of ridiculous how microsoft get slammed all the times because of anti-competition laws, but apple do exactly the same thing. Plus, AT&T sound like complete bastards tbh. thank god O2 have exclusivity over here they are actually the best carrier in the UK
  5. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I Disagree. ATT has announced they will support functionality like MMS and Tethering later on this summer. So its only a matter of time before those features are usable.

As for the variety of phones, i think the competition aspect is why we have such great phones. If the iPhone wasn't exclusive to ATT, other carriers wouldn't feel the need to have phones like the Pre or the G1. It might have been years before they were commissioned. They wouldn't need to combat the iPhone if it was on their network would they?

I say the competition is healthy.
  6. Germany

Germany Banned

They should already support those features and it is such an inconvenience because the iPhone 3G should have supported MMS. They aren't upgrading their network like they should be. Granted, people have problems with any network but AT&T seems to be holding the iPhone down.

Edit: It's nice to see some good discussion. I found this pretty interesting.
  7. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I fully DO NOT Support this. First of all, The phone market wouldn't nearly even be as competitive as it is today. Why do you switch to AT&T? To obtain an exclusive phone (Such as the iPhone). Why do you Switch to Verizon? The same reason. Because they have exclusive phone's you want. The exclusive phone's are what drives many user's to use that Carrier. Thus, Being a huge part in the competition.

Plus, Would all of the phone's really be more successful? In my opinion, No. Sure, More people would be able to buy the phone and use it... But then, It kills the hype of the phone. You would want a phone better than every else, Not something everyone use's. Less people would start buying the phone's and eventually bring their ratings down.

This is a terrible idea, And in my opinion its very likely it won't happen.
  8. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree that they should have supported these features out of the gate, but they ARE upgrading their network my friend, so at least thats progress, albeit slow.

Yeah intelligent discussion is good. Congrats on member review team!

EDIT:
    It would be just like when the RazR came out. Well said Vintage.
  9. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This ain't happening. Lobbyists practically run Washington. it's sad. Not that I support this bill, though.
  10. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPhone will support MMS soon. Think of it this way...

Would you rather AT&T upgrade's their Network to allow MMS and Tethering with completely no problems and excellent service
    OR
    Would you rather them allow it now, And have terrible service and unlimited problems every time you use it? ​

In my opinion, iPhone User's waited this long... Why in the hell can't they wait any longer?