App that lets you text with your number

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by enyahs, Jun 27, 2010.

1. enyahs

enyahs Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    If you dont want to read all this and just wanna see the question. Skip to the bottom ;D

So heres the deal. I recently moved into an apartment. The apartment is on the lower level and is partially underground. My friend gets 1 to 2 bars of service. But i have my iphone 3gs unlocked and i use T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't hardly ever get service down here. I get one bar every once in a while. I use TextFree to texts my friend and also use iCall to call on WiFi. When i use iCall it uses my number on wifi. But when i text on text free it uses a random number.

My question is.. Is there an app that you can text on that uses wifi and it shows up as your regular number? Would save me a lot of trouble. Thanks
  2. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hey i know this isnt what you are looking for but this is something simmilar. The Textfree unlimited app (which is free for now) allows you to text people phones and allows them to text you back. You actually get to pick out a number for your friends to text you back.
  3. apple10

apple10 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    No. Download TextNow and it will give you a unique testing address that you get to make up.
    (yournamehere)@textnow.me
    It's the best texting app available.
    The lite version offers unlimited Text and picture Messages
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can try Google Voice. It lets you use a custom phone number for calling and text. Free btw.
  5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But instead of having an email textfree gives you a number you can pick out. (This is what i think is really cool) You enter your zip code and it will generate numbers with that areas area code. For instance i live in Chicago but instead of having a chicago number i picked an L.A. number for kicks
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok so i just tested it out. After you pick out your number when you text some one that number will show up. instead of (yournamehere)@textnow.me. Ill try google voice. THIS is really cool
  6. enyahs

enyahs Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Thanks all. I have text free unlimited. I use it all the time. Its just frustrating to have to say " oh yea sorry im at home and dont have good service, text me on this number." and then other times "yea im not at home so you can text me on my regular number" thats all. I don't necessarily NEED it. It is more for convenience. Thanks for the answers.

PS. I actually bought Textfree unlimited when it was 5.99 so thats why i use it over everything. Kind of makes me mad that it is free now. They should at least give me the no ads or something part of it. Now peeople are getting the same app for free that i paid 5.99 for. URG
  7. MaxS

MaxS New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would suggest Google Voice. It's especially great if you use Google Chrome, you can text straight from your browser.
  8. tomcooldrummer

tomcooldrummer New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    what about biteSMS?