App Syncing

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by TechDudeGeorge, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge Active Member

1. If I download apps on the iPod and then download 2 different ones on iTunes, when I sync do they appear on all. Or will the iTunes ones go on the iPod and wipe the download ones out? Because if so how do I get backups of the apps on my computer without redownloading

2. When syncing apps does it save your save data too?
  2. NightRocker

NightRocker Active Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    1. If you download an app on your IPOD and tell itunes not to back it up then it will erase it. if you download an app on itunes and choose to sync apps and sync it it should sync it on your ipod.

2. Yeah it does

Please Register or Log in to view images

thats how my game data wasnt lost when i upgraded from ios 3 to ios 4!
  3. TechDudeGeorge

So does that mean if I keep on syncing to iTunes, if I completely restore after removing jailbreak. I can sync and get all games saves back and such?
  4. NightRocker

NightRocker Active Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    yes pretty much. It should save all of your data. (Even though when upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 your apps wont leave your ipod but when i upgraded from 3.3.1 to 4.0 my ipod was upgraded and restored)
  5. TechDudeGeorge

Cool, how would I make iTunes sync the apps I download on the iPod. So say I installed doodle jump will out, and wanted it on the computer. Would syncing normally delete it, or what? Sorry, I have not owned any apple devices before so don't understand the syncing.
  6. shamrock

shamrock Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    transfer purchases (right click on your device in itunes). when you click "backup" in itunes, it will backup everything on your device that isnt from jailbreaking (excluding music, videos, apps). if you transfer purchases though, the apps will be copied onto itunes, and backup will transfer gamesaves, settings, etc.
  7. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

If you do erase you can always get it again for free.
  8. TechDudeGeorge

Thanks, sorry if I annoy you but is it confirmed it backs up app data by syncing? Or backups?

Say I jailbroke and completed some games while syncing to itunes, did a FULL restore then synced the apps from itunes (no backups) to the iPod. Will the save data be there? As from Google it says it only saves app data if you use a backup... Which If I want to remove a jailbreak is a problem.

Or do I, backup while jailbroken, restore to factory... Then restore to the backup I did while jailbroke to get my app saves??? I just want to make sure I can unjailbreak sucessfully and have all my game saves and everything :L But then will any jailbreak traces remain? I'm very picky and get worried over small things like this :/

I just want a good way to unjailbreak and have no traces, but have all my app data (Don't care if I have to rearange them, just as long as my bookmarks, game saves and all stay)
  9. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

No, if you don't restore from a backup, your saves will be gone.