App Store woes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I only use the App Store via my iPod Touch (in fact i rarely use itunes on my pc at all), and i must say i really enjoy browsing the App Store.
    But, is it just me or when you look at it is the App Store via the Touch pretty poor?
    Let me explain......

I have zero complaints about the App Store layout - it's easy to use, straight forward, great to download from and fun to waste hours browsing through it, but look more closely and you see it's in pretty dire need of an upgrade.

First off, new app releases take ages to appear in the store. Take for example Crayon physics delux. It's been out now for a good week or 2 and still the only place i can find it in the App Store is via a manual search. Another one - Ferrari GT evolution? i cant find that anywhere. not even in search. This is fairly common with apps. I appreciate the App Store uses several servers around the world that update at different times, but this is pretty poor.

Secondly, when a new game or app is released, i use sites like appshopper.com or toucharcade.com to instantly tell me the minute it's released. The App Store via my Touch doesn't. As mentioned above, it might be several days/weeks until it might feature or display it, even though you can search for it manually and download it.
    I wish the App Store had a NEW RELEASE tab.

You used to be able to flinger browse through every app, but now you cant. i appreciate there's thousands of them, but at least we had the choice.

In "categories" it has a "release date" tab. what does this do? there's apps in there that dont bear and significance to any release date at all. That tab should be for new and instant releases imo.

Thirdly, in the app reviews, the star rating sometimes has no relevance on the individual averages reviewers give. not only that, you cant even see all the reviews. i sometimes make a review and it takes 2 weeks to register.

i'm sure i got other gripes, but cant think of them right now

Please Register or Log in to view images

thanks for sticking with me. i love the App Store, but on the flip sides it's sooooo frustrating. needed to air my frustrations

2. spykr

spykr Banned

In before the "shut up, stev has cansa :'[" posts.
    Yes, I really agree on ALL of these points, and may I add (although this isn't do with the mobile App Store) the amazingly long review process for applications?
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Question. Can you name any other Application store that does better? I'm no technician or genius, but wouldn't you think it'd take a long time to figure out and update the database files or something?

If you want to keep track of releases and such, Google AppShopper.
  4. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i agree. i dont even know of any other app shop, and yes, as mentioned, i do keep track via third party sites, but i'd like to do it via the App Store on my Touch.
    I'm not too technically minded either, so the technicalities dont concern me, and shouldn't either, i'm just a loyal Apple customer, but i thought knowing Apple's general excellence (in my opinion anyway), my above woes shouldn't really exist. If a simple site like appshopper has up to the minute info on Apple's releases, why hasn't Apple?
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe they have other more pressing matters to get to? AppShopper isn't the one distributing the Apps now are they? Apple's App Store is. Doing that along with managing the huge, ever changing database, I would think, can be a very hard thing to do in conjunction with delivering the content itself. Even AppShopper's database lags behind sometimes. No one and Nothing is perfect.
  6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    no no, i do appreciate your words, and you're probably correct. i still love browsing the store. i just wish it was more up to date, easier to find things, and had a NEW APPS section.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The Appstore does its job. I'm happy with it the way it is. I agree that it could do with tweaking and apps need to get on there faster though it does have to be tuned to serve many iTunes regions so it's not as simple as you think especially with the number of apps being released daily. I prefer it as an application for simply searching for and downloading apps rather than a method of direct sales to the consumer. I could imagine some corporations would have started bombarding adverts and such down it by now if they had control of such power! Best to make a Springboard Appshopper icon or add an RSS feed for the site if you need to keep abreast of releases.

Just my two bits but I appreciate there are those who would like to see the functionality improved.
  8. spykr

spykr Banned

Oh god. Not another "name a better one" come back.
  9. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh yeah, you know it.

Because, well, if you can't name a better one, it must mean you have to be satisfied with what you have.... [note the sarcastic tone]
  10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    I think what the Appstore REALY needs is a tab with
    - "Ratings" (1-5 Star rating select (with 1.5,2.5,... Star ratings))
    - "On sale" (or how you'd say it) stuff that's cheaper for short time
    - "price drop" stuff where the price has droped (like from 8€ to 5€ or such stuff) only showes stuuf where the price has changed in the last week, at the top of the list the stuff where the price has cahged resently, at the bootom apps where the price has changed a long time ago (in this one week)