App Store Review Forum Rules

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by studangerous, Aug 18, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A set of rules to be followed when posting reviews in the iTunes App Store Review Forum.

• No plagiarism (i.e. copying and pasting work that is not your own without referencing).

• All work that is not your own (App Store blurb, developer notes etc.) must be quoted and referenced.

• Any review posted here that is not original to iPod touch Fans must be accompanied by a note or disclaimer at the top of the review to this effect.

• Video reviews are currently not permitted unless accompanied and used to accentuate a full text review you have written, in which case the video review must be your own and not spam linking to a youtube channel.

• No astro turfing or writing reviews in return for any kind of remuneration.

• Developers, publishers or anyone connected in any way with the app are obviously not permitted to review their own apps.

• Review scoring must be fair and honest and we would encourage you use the Official iPtF Review Scoring System.

Attached Files:

2. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you receive a promo code in order to write a review, but you are in no way affiliated with the organization, is that allowed or no?
  3. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice. Will there be a rule banning ridiculously short reviews?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^... like is there a minimum length for the review?

And yeah, I know 'Quality before Quantity' but it HAS to be... say over a paragraph, or two.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you received a promo code and review the app, that's fine. Though I assume it's better to state somewhere that you did receive a promo code, especially if you asked for one from the dev for reviewing purposes.

As for length, most of the really short reviews aren't reviews at all and have been moved to the iTunes games and app section.
  6. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To elaborate further on what Radish said:

This is a new issue I will be bringing up with Bgizzle and the mods. Currently we would not endorse, support or encourage anyone who is not a member of staff (i.e. either a moderator or a member of the MR Team) to approach a developer for a promo code for review on iPtF.

Currently we do not let members of the MR Team do this unles they have discussed this with teh team coordniators, as we are trying to keep the developer-iPtF relationships well manged to prevent overlap of coverage and multiple people approaching developers at the same time to ask for codes for review.

We would also not allow anyone who is not a member of staff to use the site's name when approaching a developer. i.e. we would not allow or endorse you approaching a dev and asking for a code to review on iPtF.

As I said though this may change and I will be bringing the subject up with the team. I will post up any developments on this issue in the thread here.

To avoid astroturfing though you must state if your review was made using a promo code as it may be seen as form of remuneration for the app, i.e. you are offering to write a review in return for a free copy of the app...

No, there are those who prefer short reviews over long detailed reviews. As long as the content is sufficient for the app in question. A fart app probably wont take as long to review as a long and detailed game... (please don't take this to mean that we want fart app reviews, we don't...) However if the content is not there and it isn't really a review then we will let the OP know and the thread may be closed or moved.
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  8. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    as long as you open a window
  9. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Thanks for the guidelines, guys... Helps to clear the air regarding these review-related issues!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    are we allowed to write reviews for apps that we're beta testing? or does that count as being related to the app