App Store and 3g iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dumbismenam3, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dumbismenam3

dumbismenam3 New Member

With the official release of app store in june do you think this will push back the 3g version of the iphone till the holidays or maybe even later?
  2. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

Most new model cell phones have 3g. Apple will be behind on the cell market if they don't release a 3g soon. Apple likes to go big.. so possibly app store & 3g together during the Summer. If not, then usually you hear about Apple's new products in Sep/Oct.
  3. dumbismenam3

dumbismenam3 New Member

If they did that though would that render all older iphones obsolete? would they make appstore only for 3g? Imagine how slow downloads would be on edge... maybe that is their little plan.
  4. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

I'm not quite sure. How big of a data would need to be transferred from Appstore to the non3g iphones? Possibly use Wifi like the touch? It wouldn't be obsolete, but then it wouldn't have the advantages of the new 3g freatured phones.
  5. dumbismenam3

dumbismenam3 New Member

The files are probably at most 2 mb each. Steve said that files can be downloaded through wifi and through cellular technology so that's why I was wondering.
  6. dude19

dude19 Banned

would the iphone need a hardware upgrade to get 3g or a firmware upgrade , cause that would suck if im stuck with edge =(
  7. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

its a hardware.
  8. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    doubt they will release the new iPhone at the same time. Don't just think about the App Store. They are releasing loads of enterprise things for the iPhone, Push E-mail/Contacts etc so introducing a new iPhone just after doing this will annoy its larger customers.
  9. dumbismenam3

dumbismenam3 New Member

that's exactly what i was thinking that's why i think that its getting pushed back