Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

App Size, and Springboard App Rows

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Nesemar, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Nesemar

Nesemar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Has anybody yet experimented with the idea of reducing the size of the app icons, and then adding more app rows? Say... up to 10 rows of apps on a single springboard screen? Is this type of a thing even plausible currently?

Thanks!
  2. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you can get 5 collums 5 rows and 5 icons on the dock
    other than that i dont know
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    you can get 5 collums 5 rows and 5 icons on the dock
    other than that i dont know
  3. Nesemar

Nesemar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I heard about that, that's actually what got me to thinking about this. If we can add an extra row... what's stopping us from making the icons smaller and adding yet another row? Is it even possible?
  4. DNJ45

DNJ45 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm sure it's possible but just making the icons smaller isn't going to allow you to add more apps on one page. You would have to create some file that edits the size of the available space on each page (like the 5x5 icon mod). You can try downloading that and see what the creator did.
  5. Nesemar

Nesemar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I might just try that out. And like you said, you couldn't just reduce the graphical size of the icons. I'm looking to reduce the size of the icons completely (meaning, the space they are allotted).

I did not realize it previously though... the mod does shrink the space allotted to those icons? I thought it kept them the same, just jammed more into the space on the screen?
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Not too sure how SBIconList handles evens, but the higher you go, the higher chance of epic failure. 5 is stable, 6 would work, and 7 might destory springboard.

Gi-lo from MacThemes has found a way to make two rows of dock icons (stably, actually). He is now experimenting with 8 and 10.
  7. Nesemar

Nesemar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the info.

Would moving the doc to the left or right side of the screen be possible? Here's what I'm looking to do, now:

[​IMG]

That's just an idea. It's not anywhere near the correct dimensions and sizes.

Also, why do extra rows on the Springboard (7, 8, 9, 10...) crash it?
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

No, you actually can't move the dock at this time (it's not an app, so no UIInteraceOrientation)

Springboard was made for 4 rows and columns, and that's why even 5 for each if a bit iffy. Increasing it past 6 (I don't think it likes even number larger than 4, either) would be stupid, making SB unusable. I'll screw around with it after I backup the original SB.app
  9. Nesemar

Nesemar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. As you may have already seen, I'm not too skilled in the area of iPhone and iPod Touch Development. I'd like to be someday though.

The thing I'd like to be able to do eventually is make a theme similar in looks to iNav, but with a working menu off to the left, like so:

[​IMG]

I personally don't like how iNav works, thus my reasoning for wanting to look into this. The original plan for the large number of rows on the springboard was to make each app one of those "strings". I wasn't quite thinking it would be the most practical way to do it, but I was curious none the less.

The above plan now scrapped... on to the next. I noticed from around the boards that some posters were running "widgets" on their springboards, like a clock or weather display. Would it thus be possible to make a links widget, where said links widget provided shortcuts to other apps?

Thanks!
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Widgets are just HTML, which isn't "clickable".

There have been semi-recent MobileSubstrate advancements in recognizing touches on areas on the springboard not covered by icons, and telling Springboard what to do when touched certain places (See: SBSettings), so it's a distant possibility. But again, a lot of things are possible with MobileSubstrate.