App Memory App?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Lajon, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Lajon

Lajon New Member

Is there a application for the iPod Touch wich shows how much application memory u have left?
    I already searched and couldn`t find anything

Or is there any other way to see how much app space you have left? I heard it was like 300MB and my iTunes shows that i have 100MB "other" files on my iPod but still i keep getting the warning on my iPod that i have to delete photos and videos, (i know that isn`t related to my app memory), But still, please help me find out a safe way to see how much app memory i have left,

Thanks..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Install BOSS TOOL... It will show you the amount of space on your OS drive. (and has the added bonus of allowing you to move your apps folder, wallpaper folder and ringtones folder.

Here is a little guide i put together to help get another 80mb or so...

HERE IS A STEP BY STEP FORMAT FOR MOVING YOUR FONTS FOLDER FROM THE "SYSTEM" OS TO THE "MEDIA" OS.....
    (Only for PC, don't know about MACs)
    Note: The ENTIRE process can take from 1 to 2 hours.. remember, "Patience, is a Virtue"

Note: This is to move the FONTS folder instead of the APPLICATIONS folder.. (Since there is a program in Installer (BOSS TOOLS) that allows you to move the Applications Folder, which will free up about 20 MB... This will give you ANOTHER 80 MB!)

1.) Find the iphonebrowser application by doing a search on google.

2.) Install iphonebrowser application on your PC (This allows you to get into your iPoT WITHOUT using an SSH program.)

3.) Have your (obviously Jailbroken iPot) connected to your PC. (Shut off iTunes, if it's running).

4.) Find the FONTS folder (using iphonebrowser) at [Root]/System/Library....

5.) Right Click on FONTS folder and "Save Folder In" onto somewhere you can find easily. (this does TWO things... A.) It saves a backup of it. AND B.) This is what you're gonna use to put ONTO your iPod.

)
    Note: THIS process WILL take at LEAST 30 mins, so be PATIENT.. (It will seem as if it's not working, but trust me, it IS!)
    (You will know when it's finished, because iphonebrowser will not be in (not responding) "mode")

6.) On your iPoT, download (if you haven't already) the BSD Subsystem and Term-vt100 applications from installer. (restart iPoT)

6b.) Make sure to set your iPot to "Never" Auto-Lock. (This is in Settings > General > Auto-Lock)

7.) On your iPoT startup Term-vt100 and type this in....
    Capitalization must be EXACTLY what is shown..

ln -s /private/var/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts

IMPORTANT!!!: Do NOT hit Enter (yet).

8.) Go back to iphonebrowser and navigate to... [Root]/System/Library and delete the "FONTS" folder.

Note: THIS Process will take a while too!

9.) Go back to iphonebrowser and navigate to...

[Root]/private/var

And drag and drop the "Fonts" folder (from where you saved it on your PC) to the
    var directory in the iphonebrowser application.

Note: THIS process WILL take at LEAST 45 mins to an Hour, so be PATIENT.. (It will seem as if it's not working, but trust me, AGAIN, it IS!)

10.) Once this is finshhed, go back to your iPod Touch an hit enter in Term-vt100.
    A
    Note: THIS process takes about 1/2 a second.

This is what creates the symbolic link from the "System" area of the iPoT to the "Drive Space" area. (Freeing up approx 80 MB)

11.)Type the following Code to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:

ls -la

In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:

((( lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13 Dec 12 22:31 Fonts -> /private/var/Fonts. )))

Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPod touch!
    DO THAT NOW!

12.) Go into BOSS TOOL and see that you now have approximately 130 MB free!
  3. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

this would be extremley helpful. i wish there was a way to see how much RAM is free. there is software for pocket pc's that frees up memory should you suspect that your device is running out of RAM.

oh, and im not talking about free space, im talking about RAM available to the end user to run applications (the equivelent to RAM on a computer).

off topic: does anyone know if when you "close" an application, is it truley closed or is it still running in the background? the reason why i ask is because when you close an emulator (for example) while playing a game, and then you open the emulator up again, your at the same spot where you left off. anyone who has a WM2003/WM5/WM6 device should know what i am talking about.
  4. Lajon

Lajon New Member

Thanks,

Boss tool was helpfull

got 55 mb without using the steps wich is good enough for me

Thanks again
  5. sangesf

sangesf New Member

I have 147 MB free and my touch FLIES!!!!

(The more in the OS partition, the better)

I could probably tweak it to get about 200, but I'm not gonna go crazy.

147 mb is good enough for me

fxs
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

no. to completely close it hold the home button for 6 seconds untill it closes. the app will not show shrinknig ut the top bar will.
  8. Joker

Joker New Member

wow, pretty complicated, but ill try it out.

Thx
  9. matthew

matthew New Member

helpp

im trying to do this but my ipodtouch keeps disconnecting
    i turned to never lock and i have now clue why its doing this plzz helppp
  10. matthew

matthew New Member

can i do this using ssh?