App Idea (Any DevTeam Wanna Take A Shot?)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SimonTheSnowman, Mar 27, 2008.

1. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

Okay, I Think This Would Be Awesome, Well, Me Anyway.. Okay, What If Someone Can Create A New Google Maps, App, Thing... Like, That Doesn't Need Wi-Fi To Use.. So Like, You Can Search For Directions, Places, Stuff Like That.. Although, Without Wi-Fi.. So, I Was Wondering If Anyone Can Create An App That Can Do That, Without Wi-fi.. Would It Be Possible? Discuss..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. optimo

optimo New Member

the only way you could do that offline would be to download the full extent of all the info you want to search against. in other words you would need to download the map data from googlemaps at some point and keep it locally.

I know there a few developers that want to do this, but the GMM framework needs alot of functionality setup around it to get the same UI with all the neat tricks.

also, the built-in maps program uses a webserver for a datasource, which means you would probably need to emulate this or run a server locally. And I think they use java.

depending on how much area you need to save and search with, and depending on your needs you could maybe save some maps as single, large files (png?) and just write a simple scroller-n-zoom app to view them with .

if you just need some maps you could create your own into a pdf and view them from inside mail.app(mail to yourself) or pdfviewer.app
  3. optimo

optimo New Member

ps: maybe save up to get a nicey new cellphone that can create its own wifi. theres a WindowsMobile phonethat does this.

oops: didnt mean to double-post =/
  4. nambrot

nambrot New Member