app disk space

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by berky93, Nov 20, 2007.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

how much space is there for applications? because Im installing beatphone right now and its 37mb, and i dont want to run out of app space. I would do the "get around 3rd party app limit" thing but last time I did that it completely bricked my ipod and forced me to get a new one
  2. TheRapture

TheRapture New Member

This has been disscussed search the forums and the disk space is 350mb, plenty of space, also you cant get past the disk space limit
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

350? wow i must have really f****d up my old ipod I had max 3 springboard pages and it was almost full! and I know about getting around 3rd party app limit, but like I said im not going to take the risk yet considering how much it messed up my old ipod. but no matter because 350mb is plenty of space for now.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Question - although its 350MB, isn't a large portion (almost 1/2) used by the "firmware"/OS for the iPod Touch?
  5. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I did the 3rd-party app limit thing, and AFAIK there's no reason it should brick you. SSH should still be running, and even if u break the display of ur apps, u can still SSH in and finish running the commands to fix it. That's what happened to me. It then shows ur use of iPod space for other things in "Other" on iTunes, which i'm using ~100MB of...
  6. johnson_steve

johnson_steve New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey I'm new to this forum and the iPod touch so I'm not sure what way you guys are saying to get around the space limit; but I'm not new to Unix based systems and have used darwin for years so when I noticed that I was running out of space but I had plenty of room for music and such I just opened the terminal (the vt-100 terminal emulator from appsnap ) and:

Code:
    cd /
    cp -r /Applications/ ~/
    rm -rf /Applications/
    ln -s ~/Applications/ /Applications

I also had the BSD Subsystem 1.5 installed but I don't know if it was needed. This moves the Applications folder from the small partition to the large one and creates a symbolic link in place of the old folder pointing to the new one. this worked flawlessly the first time didn't even require plugging the ipod in and now I have 7.3Gb for applications.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. fredriks91

fredriks91 New Member

on itunes i says 300mb(something) on "other" and thats AFTER i deleted all my dictionaries. and NES roms.
    What is it that uses all this disk place??
  8. Hungern

Hungern New Member

My dev disk0s1 is only 300mb. I broke my space limit, had like 27m free space on that partion. But now the disk is full, i cant figure out why that is so.

I mean the break limit thing worked, but something get stored on the disk0s1, 27mb, maybe a cache or somestuff.
  9. damn.hustle

damn.hustle New Member

i have been using my ipod touch as an external hard drive to store full avi movies but i have over 2 gigs of "other" even after i deleted the movies.

10. sangesf

sangesf New Member

OK, I'm gonna be VERY helpfull right now.

There is a tool called "Boss Tool" in installer for moving the applications folder to free up a little space....

But here's the deal... If you move the basic applications that only frees up about 12 MB of the space on "disk 1"
    Although this IS good. Let's do ONE BETTER.

You should move your FONTS folder, As Well as your Applications folder and have a free ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY MEGABYTES for the "disk 1" partition. (This, in theory, should help speed up the touch a tiny bit, as well as freeing up space for as many apps as you want...)

Originally Posted by swedishviking

EDITED BY: SANGESF

HOW-TO: Get around the application space limit your Touch! (USING FONTS FOLDER REDIRECTION!)

Executing the commands below will remove your application space limitation so that you're only limited by the device's drive.. Your apps will share the same space available to your media files.

NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbroken your iPod touch and installed the necessary Unix binaries( I would suggest installing VT-100 Terminal AND BSD Subsystem Utils from Installer

WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk!
    BIG FYI!!! (You MUST have the Capitalization CORRECT for EVERYTHING listed here, or it will NOT work!)
    BIGGER FYI!!... (I would consider backing up your FONTS folder before doing all of this, just in case something get's screwed up in the proccess.)

1.)SSH into your iPod touch using the SSH client of your choice
    Or you can use the VT-100 TERMINAL application from Installer.(if you don't want to use SSH)
    It's probably better to MOVE (code-mv your Fonts directory from an SSH program.) then to do it via VT-100 Term app.)
    (I personally had the VT-100 Term application ready to do the symbolic link code (#4 in this tutorial) and executed it right after I moved the Fonts folder and then finished the rest of it from within VT-100.)

2.)Move your FONTS folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following Code:
    Code:
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/Fonts

(FYI, this will take about 45 min to an HOUR to complete)

3.)Change directory to / by typing
    CD /

4.)Create a symbolic link to the Fonts folders new location:
    Code:
    ln -s /private/var/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts

5.)Type the following Code to get a directory list of /System/Library, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:
    Code:
    cd /System/Library

ls -la

(In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one

((( lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 25 Oct 12 22:31 Fonts -> /private/var/Fonts. )))

Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPod touch! Do that NOW.