App charges money for new update

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Evanmav, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Evanmav

Evanmav New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What happens if a FREE app charges for the next update. Like can u still get the application free or if u want that app u ahve to buy the most recent update. Im not talking about when Jirbo break was free and then started charging .99$. im talking about like in order to upgrade to the next version the app makes u pay. so is it possible to get the older version and not have to pay?
  2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I had an app that was free and the update was $1, and yes it did let me update for free

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Evanmav

Evanmav New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    arg i stated it confusingly. wat i was trying to say is
    Version 1.0 is free. then the app has a new version
    Version 2.0 is .99$. so wat im saying is if the app is charging money for the new version can someone who hasnt got this app download verison 1.0 or is the only version of the app u can buy 2.0?
  4. armandoisabird

armandoisabird New Member

Thats the difference between light and regular.
    the free version is like a beta or light(lite) and than to get an 'UPGRADE' you gotta pay for it.
  5. xlmrylandlx

xlmrylandlx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Since noone is listening the only app you can download is the newest version of the app. If the app is on 2.0 and costs money then you have to get the newest version. If you already have 1.0 then you can keep it and not upgrade but if you dont have it at all then you get 2.0
  6. azurerush

azurerush New Member

I don't think it's possible for developers to charge for updates unless it is released as a new, separate program.
  7. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this never happened to me
  8. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq New Member

Good job being the only one answering the question correctly

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Updates of app that you got paid or download free (and even hey starting to charge for this app) ae complytly Free. Apple not provide system for paid updates, all updates are free.

But there are hole allowing developers to fool Apple and make paid updates, they can make different edition of apps and sell as different app (they if you buy you got old one and new one a separated apps). Only condition of that is to rename app a little, by adding "Premium" to name for example. I don't know but Apple may allow sell apps with same name but different x.0 version number, because it's normal thing in paid software industry.