Apologizing right off the bat...newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ogradyre, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ogradyre

ogradyre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I did try the Search feature, but I've seen so much information tonight I wasn't really sure what to search for!! I'm sorry for repeating a question that's likely been asked many times over...

I purchased a used 8G iPod touch for my son. It had been used by two other people before us, so I'm really not sure of it's history.

It had a Playboy screensaver and some other *ahem* questionable material on it, so I did an 'erase all' function through the settings. It warned me that it would take up to an hour, so I tucked it away until the next day.

When I went to turn it on, it would only show the weird pineapple icon. I tried doing the DFU restore with iTunes, and managed to get the crazy Russian speaking Steve Jobs icon. That's as far as I can get. iTunes is not recognizing the iPod.

Has this iTouch been jailbroken?? Do I need to reinstall software or something? This is to be his Christmas present, and I'd really like to get this thing set up for him before the big day.

Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions?
  2. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You can just restore, if that doesn't work dfu restore. Then after that if you want to jailbreak it use blackra1n.
  3. ogradyre

ogradyre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Should I be doing something different from what I've already done? I did the home and power key while attached to the computer. Right now the thing is sitting in front of me with the pineapple icon, and every few minutes it seems to reboot and the pineapple comes back.
  4. yuyaera

yuyaera Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Make sure your doing the DFU right. It should just be a black screen and you can't press any buttons to make it turn back on. If thats happening your doing it right. Then just restore in iTunes. I guess.
  5. ogradyre

ogradyre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    IT'S WORKING!!!

Thank you all so much, my 10 year old son will be so grateful on Christmas morning.

A very supportive group you guys have going here, thanks for letting me jump in like this.
  6. maxam

maxam Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well I know that the weird pineapple icon COULD be the Pwnage Tool jailbreak and a restore should erase everything on the iPod but the only way to restore is with iTunes I think and you said iTunes can't recognize it.