Apollo IM? Wont install

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Rockblock, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rockblock

Rockblock New Member

Can anyone help me with this:

http://www.apolloapp.com/

When I go to installer and try to install the community sources, everything goes to hell. Half of them say they are unknown names and everytime I fire up installer now the tasks says 8 to go and hangs and nothing happens or a box pops up saying Error, cant find host.

I've tried and tried to make this work, I can't make installer work, I've always had problems with installer.

Can this be done with Cydia?
  2. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Im guesing your on 2.x.x, Apollo was only available for 1.x.x
  3. pickles

pickles New Member

What he said ^^. Although, if you're on firmware 1.x.x you have to replace the hosts file. Just google Apollo host file, get that, SSH into your iPod and replace it with the old one. And if you are on 1.x.x, why? If you aren't on 2.x.x yet, you should totally upgrade. Hope that helps!
  4. Rockblock

Rockblock New Member

Yeah I'm on 2.1

Why wouldnt they have this on the 2.x.x? What the hell lol...
  5. godogshomie

godogshomie New Member

y not use parilingo or AIM or mobile chat or IM+ there all free except mobile chat.
  6. pickles

pickles New Member

Because back about during 1.1.4 firmware, apparently they had too many problems with it, and then discontinued developing it. I sent them an email once because that wouldn't work on my 1.1.4 jailbroken iPod. They told me because of so many errors they just stopped developing for it, and because they were into developing other things.
  7. Rockblock

Rockblock New Member

Because they are all complete jokes due to the rules of the SDK... As soon as you hit the home key, per the apple SDK rules, they must close down.

With Apollo IM, you log in, and when you push the home key to go back to the springboard, it stays running in the back ground so you can still get your messages.

I installed IM+ and I'd hit the damn home key and it would close the app then I couldn't get back on to yahoo because the thing was ghosted and it would give me this can't log in error because your on somewhere else even though I wasn't.

I suppose IM+ would work if it wasn't for the whole SDK much close when you hit the home key crap.

From Big Boss's page, reason why Apollo rocks and why it would suck if it was build per SDK rules:

Apollo IM - Nice instant messenger app. It would be ruined on the SDK because of the requirement that no app can stay running when you press home. You would have to reconnect each time you loaded the app. Everyone would see you as offline in the meantime. Worthless.

That being said all the programs like IM+ are worthless.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why don't you get a Windows Mobile Phone? They allow background processes.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Task Manager anybody?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Nevertheless, why would you need that connection? When you're out of the app, you are no longer chatting it up... and don't need the connection to stay.
  10. godogshomie

godogshomie New Member

Exactly and with aim and parilingo when u close the app it saves the messages u get while your gone and when u get back it gives them to you. as well with 2.1 the push notification system will solve your problem.