Apollo IM on jailbroken 2.0.x?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by walrick, Aug 26, 2008.

1. walrick

walrick New Member

I've been looking for it on Installer and even Cydia but I can't find.
    Currently, all the IM applications for the AppStore are terrible or don't provide the functionality I need. Where is the good and old Apollo? Has it been ported?

Thank you.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    They quit development on APollo back on 1.1.4. Use MobileChat
  3. walrick

walrick New Member

MobileChat is terrible. Everyone says it doesn't work and it costs $2.99. I won't pay for something that doesn't work.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The old MobileChat (for jailbroken devices) was pretty cool, though. Can I use it on 2.0.x?
  4. nubby

nubby New Member

MobileChat is indeed horrible, even when you finally get it working. Definitely not worth the $3.
  5. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The ApolloIM team now develops for twenty08 and MobileChat, so there's no chance of ApolloIM making it's way to 2.x.
    Use MobileChat (it works, anyone who says it doesn't is an idiot) or Palringo.

And yeah, you may be disconnected from MobileChat, but wait for Apple to introduce push notifications.
    Apple's push will improve things and MobileChat will be fully realized with that functionality, then it will magically become a killer app.
  6. walrick

walrick New Member

Push notification will just make things even worse, since it will add an extra connection (from Apple servers) to their servers, which already can't handle the current load.

Anyway, isn't Apollo IM open source? We can still port it to 2.0.x without the original developers, right?
  7. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Push notification will be fine.
    If you want to cite the big launch (iPhone 3G, 2.0, and MobileMe) to prove your point of it being a disaster, just don't.
    Apple's server handle their load fine currently; thousands upon thousands of movies and songs are downloaded everyday, along with firmware updates and software updates.

If you're talking about the connection from Apple to twenty08; I'm sure Apple has a clever system for it that load-balances everything for you, because not every developer has lots of money like twenty08 (They may seem small, but they are actually owned by a larger developer, I believe).

And sure, you could port ApolloIM if you wanted, but it'd be incredibly ugly and you'd be wasting your time.
    I'm pretty sure that building libpurple on 1.x was already ugly enough.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

MobileChat is trash.

Use Parlingo.
  9. walrick

walrick New Member

All I am saying is that Push Notification is not magic or miracle. It will not make MobileChat servers any better. In fact, it will actually increase the load.