Apache

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by FluxBox, Dec 29, 2007.

1. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

What can the Apache webserver on the iPoT be used for, idealy?
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    unfortunately I have yet to find a good use for it...if you want to take some docs with you you can store them on the ipod and view them by navigating to localhost in safari...
  3. curthard89

curthard89 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    running php, not sure about sql, but ive got php up and running on it

Please Register or Log in to view images

, nifty as im a php developer to just be able to take my sites with me lol, cunning....
  4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Can someone explain to me how t do this? I have an html website stored on my ipod, and I want to be able to access it.
  5. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

Alright. I just don't see a use for a webserver on the iPoT. But I'd love to see its capabilities.

* Apache
    * Lighttpd
    * MouseHole
    * Tinyproxy
    ^^ All applications that I would love to see what they can do in the near future. Especially Tinyproxy.

EDIT: I installed Tinyproxy, but how would one go about using it? There's no icon on Springboard, much like OpenSSH. How do I use it?
  6. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

Well, you'd probably need experience in this field of work.

I can get some information to you in a week or so, seeing as my father knows more about this angle of computing than me.

However, I know you need to install a webserver, ie: Apache, to host the file.

As for actually getting it on the web, I have no idea right now.

EDIT: Actually, if you take your house's IP (not the 192.168.1.100 that your iPod has) and set it to a domain, I think it SHOULD work. I'll try it later, actually.
  7. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Thanks for the help, but I think you're misunderstanding... or I wasn't clear enough...

I am trying to be able to view a website, that I have stored on my ipod, without internet access. I tried going the file locally with Safari, but it says I can't access local files. Someone in another thread told me to try Apache, but I don't know how it works.
  8. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

You can view the html/etc. files on the web server of your iPod by putting them in the proper directory (depends on which web server you're using). You then point Safari to 127.0.0.1, which means the machine you're on, in this case the iPod.

In order to push the website to the internet so that it's accessible to the internet, you'd need to use your external IP, which is what you refer to by your "house's IP", so this is correct. However, you need to tell the world which of your PCs to goto for the website (simplified explanation), which is called "port forwarding". This is different depending on the router, but it's done by pointing the browser to the router's IP and configuring port 80 input to the PC in question.

In order to get specific instructions for your router (the box that your modem/csudsu/fiberline/etc. runs to), goto www.portforward.com and find the link for your model number/name.

Hope this helps.
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Ok thanks.. I installed APache and pointed Safari to 127.0.0.1. It tells me that Apache is installed correctly, and to put my content into Library/Webserver/Documents.

I didn't have that directory, so I made it, and added some html files. How do I point safari at the exact file I want to load now?

I tried 127.0.0.1/Library/WebServer/Documents/index.hml but it didn't work..
  10. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

Apache MAKES that directory. Use OpenSSH (iPod Touch) + WinSCP (Windows) to direct to that directory. =)

OH. I misread your post. index.html is your default page. You need to add links to your other pages.