iPhone 3GS Anyway to jailbreak 3gs 3.1? Or downgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tech-Boy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Tech-Boy

Tech-Boy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    (Solved) Anyway to jailbreak 3gs 3.1 out of box?

So a friend gave me his 3gs (3.1 out of the box) to jailbreak, he already had it registered or something (he could use it, just not for a phone), he wanted it jailbroken though so that he could have cydia etc. So ayways I though blackra1n could do it, and in the process I got the phone restored to 3.1 . Now the phone is completely locked out! So now I am locked out and can't get it jailbroken, I am going to have a lot of explaining to do if I can't fix this by tomorrow.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So is there anyway at all to jailbreak the phone to use it for the ipod stuff (because right now it is stuck at emergency call screen), downgrading to 3.0 then jailbreak or whatever.

Really appreciate all help.
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Unless it has the new bootrom (doubt it) you should be able to jailbreak it.

You could try blackra1n again just be sure you are doing things correctly. Also I am assuming you are on a PC; you could try restoring it to a custom firmware.
  3. Tech-Boy

Tech-Boy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have tried blackra1n like 10 time.

Windows 7 64bit
    iPhone fresh restore to 3.1 firmware baseband 5.11.07

I tried just running blackra1n at first but it didn't work so I:

Plugged iPhone in and closed iTunes, also closed ipod services. Then started blackra1n from C: root as administrator. Then when it says waiting for iphone, hold down sleep button, and then home button, released sleep button when apple logo appeared, and then down home until picture comes up. Picture only came up once of the 10+ tries, and even then it didn't work (other tries I just got black screen instead of picture). Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Custom firmware is a great idea, know were I can get one.

And what is this about new bootrom , can I check that somehow.

Thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it.

Ohh it is the same phone you have, 16gb 3gs white.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Might have a problem running Windows 7; especially with blackra1n.

Do a search for the custom firmware: Should be easy to find just make sure it is the correct firmware for you.

To check your bootrom put the iPhone in DFU mode and check the USB drive to see what is plugged in there; sorry I can't be more specific I don't know PC's that well.
  5. Tech-Boy

Tech-Boy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Still can't get blackra1n to work. I read somewhere that it does not work for 3gs out of the box on 3.1. Don't know if that is true or if any of you can confirm that.

And about the custom ipsw I found one, but the site says only works if you already on 3.0 jailbroken, any thoughts on that.

As I said before I appreciate All help, as I am desperate to at least be able to get past the lock screen to use the phone as an ipod.
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have not messed with blackra1n at all but I was under the impression it would work with the 3GS with 3.1 out of the box.

You should be able to restore to the custom firmware regardless if you were running on a jailbroken 3.0 or not. The warning that is out there is for those users who need the iPhone to remain unlocked. I am assuming that is not an issue for you since you have 3.1 out of the box.

Here is my suggestion: do a factory restore (or update) to 3.1.2; activate the phone and sync it with your computer (this may not be necessary but it has helped me in the past). From there put it into DFU and restore it to the custom firmware.
  7. Tech-Boy

Tech-Boy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok thanks will give that a try, 3.1.2 does not up the base band beyond 5.11.07, right?
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Just realized something.....

Check your bootrom before going any farther.

This is not a confirmed way to check the bootrom but seems to be true so far:

What is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th number in the serial number of the iPhone? If it is 939 or less you are good. If it is 940 or higher it is currently unjailbreakable.
  9. Tech-Boy

Tech-Boy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can't figure out were to find that in windows. Anyone know how to see whether or not the phone has iBoot-359.3.2 as the boot rom?
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you can still get into the iPhone go to Settings > General > About and look at the serial number. Or (if it is the original SIM tray) the serial number is also etched on the SIM tray.

There is another way to get the bootrom posted here.