Anything more radical than restore?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lobasuu, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Lobasuu

Lobasuu New Member

My iPod Touch is in a state which is usually called "bricked"(yeah, I know a normal user can`t really "brick" his ipod).

When it isn`t connected to my computer, I can`t do anything with it. I can`t turn it on or anything. Also, when I recharge it the power adapter, it doesn`t show the battery on the screen, but I think it actually DOES recharge.

When I connect it to iTunes, the screen of the iPod turns white and iTunes, of course, asks me to restore. I have tried restoring so many times in many different ways as well:

*just plain restore with whatever firmware iTunes downloads
    *ctrl + shift restore with 1.1.1
    *reinstalled iTunes
    *different (new) users in Windows
    *different computers (PCs and Macs)

During the restore, I can sometimes see the Apple logo on the iPod and sometimes it does THIS. Also, when the restore ends, I get an error (usually the good old 1604, but sometimes others too. When I read the documents about all these errors on the Apple site, it has stupid tips like "reinstall iTunes, recharge your iPod").

I have heard that people have successfully brought their iPods back to life by simply trying and trying to restore for 30 times and I am willing to do that (what choice do I have?), but is there anything else I can do? I mean, I am ready to take risks, so if there is anykind of hardcore hacking or deeper stuff I could do...

I can`t take it back to an Apple store because I bought the damn thing from Ebay.
  2. axe5666

axe5666 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I you wait for it to boot up after the apple logo appears?
    EDIT: And do you have the original box?
  3. Lobasuu

Lobasuu New Member

I`m not sure I understood your first question correctly, but I think it doesn`t "boot up". I can either see the apple logo, the flashing, a white screen or nothing at all.

Oh and yes, I DO have the box and everything.
  4. brisingr

brisingr New Member

DFU. It may work. Try using another USB port and another cord, another computer etc.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    try windows 95

Just joking. Do you have xp or vista?
  5. Lobasuu

Lobasuu New Member

I have tried 3 different cords and more than 4 different computers.

I am currently looking into the DFU mode thing, I haven`t tried it yet, thanks.

EDIT: I have XP.
  6. axe5666

axe5666 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Totally ignor my first question, take it to apple andnlet them try to restore it and tell them that you bought it off eBay
  7. Lobasuu

Lobasuu New Member

Are they supposed to fix my iPod even though I didn`t buy it from them?
  8. axe5666

axe5666 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Regardless of where YOU bought it, it's still an apple product, they'd be stupid not to.
  9. Lobasuu

Lobasuu New Member

Alright, I just sent it to DFU mode using Ziphone and it didn`t change a thing.

I will try to get it fixed at an Apple store, though I am sure that since I live in Europe (and EASTERN Europe, to be more exact), it will not be all that easy. Thanks for the tips.
  10. Halacio

Halacio New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Just call apple and give them the serial number ( if you have it) and they will fix it.