anyone tought to slax??

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by shoaxthabeast, Apr 28, 2009.

1. shoaxthabeast

shoaxthabeast Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    slax is a lighter version of linux that you can put on a cd or on a USB flash drive.
    I thought that it might be easier to port on the ipod touch cause of is small size (190 mb on flash drive) and its simple installation.

Please Register or Log in to view images

btw I have it on my computer if you need it just ask me
  2. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

The size of the distribution is not the issue. The issue is developing the proper drivers that will let a full Linux distribution to run and interface with all of the available hardware. Once those drivers are finalized the sky's the limit.
  3. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    agreed
  4. shoaxthabeast

shoaxthabeast Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    which version of linux are they using right now?
  5. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

Well, just to be a stickler (since I don't think you are meaning "version" the way you think you do), they aren't using any "version". Linux is actually just the kernel, but the rest of what you conceive as Linux are programs and modules that comprise each OS, or distrubution, of Linux.

They have not gotten far enough to run any of the full distributions you could find elsewhere such as Android, Ubuntu, or Fedora. Instead they are using a "custom distrution" if you will, which is the Linux core with the few drivers and modules they have running. It is unknown whether they will continue on to develop an entire distribution themselves, but it is more likely that they will finish developing the few necessary components and then port existing modules (such as GUIs and applications) from another distribution like Android.

Hope this explains it. I can elaborate further if necessary.
  6. shoaxthabeast

shoaxthabeast Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thx but just if you can tell them that they can build slax completely from the home page of slax and get the modules they want to.
  7. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

Well, you can tell them just as easily. The problem is that the drivers to use access the flash memory (read and write), display driver, audio device, and other hardware don't exist. The only ones that exist are the proprietary drivers embedded in Apple's iPhone OS which we cannot use. This is why we are waiting for the members of the project to get drivers working before we can even think of porting code over.
  8. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Linux in these terms refer to the linux kernel (which is really the true definition of the word).

The linux you are thinking of is a "distribution". It is the linux kernel packaged with software designed for a specific purpose to to make it more accessible to the end user.
  9. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    DSL and Puppy are actually smaller distributions.
  10. shoaxthabeast

shoaxthabeast Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i can almost run slax on my ipod but i would need help to set the installation on internal mode (its asking for a external flash drive to mount the boot file) because its set to internal
    the exact thing that my ipod says is :Can't find device to install to.
    Make sure you run this script from a mounted device.
    but sure i wont be able to do anything with it

Please Register or Log in to view images