Anyone notice Ipod instability?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by digdug, Dec 12, 2007.

1. digdug

digdug New Member

Twice now, I've restored to 1.1.1 and upgraded per the proper method, added files, Summerboard and Customizer, and I'm getting system instability. Random programs will crash to the springboard, and then sometimes upon reopening that or another program, the iPod will freeze and an attempt to reboot will result in a "hard reboot" (i.e. holding the Home and top buttons won't bring up the power off slider, but will just turn off the iPod).

This time around I've been careful to monitor the system upon adding items. So far I have summerboard and a few programs installed, and everything is fine and rock solid. I'm wondering if (1) Customize is to blame for this instability as I have not yet installed that, and that would seem to be the only system-wide application other than Summerboard that is to be installed on the Ipod, or if (2) moving the Applications folder to deal with the limited space situation may be to blame - I have yet to do that on this install.

Then again, I never had such problems till I upgraded to 1.1.2. Perhaps the oktoprepping and update process isn't 100% perfect? Troubleshooting something like this is quite hard, unfortunately.

Thoughts? experiences?
  2. jmccnz

jmccnz New Member

I have the latest customize along with summerboard and a whole bunch of other apps and from my experience my iPod has only ever crashed on me when using Customize to change anything apart from icon order. Not sure about moving the applications folder and what this might do to instability.
  3. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I feel like mine is getting unstable too, I need to stop installing so many things. I also moved the applications folder.
  4. fog80

fog80 New Member

customize gave me some issues so i uninstalled it and its been fine.

then i downloaded the new 1.19 and this version is a lot better.
  5. sangesf

sangesf New Member

THis has been posted before....

If you remove DIM your wallpaper (Change it to NO) then you will have ALOT LESS crashes.
    Mine used to crash every 30 mins or so.

Changed it, to NOT dim, and it's only crashed once, in 3 weeks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Try it!
  6. digdug

digdug New Member

I'm starting to think that there is some correlation between moving the applications folder and stability. I was never dimming my background so that's not an issue. Hmm... so far so good, but I don't like walking on eggshells whenever I consider installing a new proggie.

I might just run 1.1.1 which was rocksteady. I see nothing in 1.1.2 that warrants the upgrade. I can live without the share-a-link function in safari.
  7. MTRadio

MTRadio New Member

Omfg!

Customize is bull on the new f/w ive tried it twice each time it went to recovery mode.. so now im not that stuid to use it

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Ejizzle4550

Ejizzle4550 New Member

i cant even go into any application without it crashing to the summerboard...i am running 1.1.1 and i just moved my applications through bosstool and then it crashed...i downgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1 because it ran better, now its crappy because of bosstool
  9. fparedesg

fparedesg New Member

Moving Applications

This exact same thing happened to me after I moved the Applications folder, so I'm going to try again without doing that, but I'm not sure if I should move the Fonts, because that uses a lot of space..but I'm afraid it will keep crashing again if I do that.
  10. ketanitem

ketanitem New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    IMHO, it doesn't have anything to do with moving the Application folder or Font folder. I always use boss ool to move my font folder, and do a manual move for the Application (somehow it doesn't work with bosstool) right after jailbreaking my iPod. (of course after BSD subsys installed).

Running 1.1.3 jailbroken happily