Anyone know of a photo viewer for iPod Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipoduser458, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ipoduser458

ipoduser458 New Member

Hi, Just got the iPod Touch 2G a few days ago...

I tried uploading some photos to it through iTunes, and noticed the most bizzare behavior; iTunes supposedly "optimizes" the photos, the result of this is that the resolution of the pictures is greatly decreased, while the file size of many pics is actually greatly INCREASED. It appears that the images that end up on the iPod are not only greatly reduced in resolution, but are also stored in an uncompressed format and therefore take up a huge amount of storage space (something like 600kb per image). Maybe this allows faster scrolling between images? Whatever the reason, this is completely unacceptable and I can't even comprehend why anyone would do this.

So are there any decent photo viewers for the iPod Touch 2G? I've read about several apps which can view photos, such as Air Sharing. But it seems you can't view images in full screen mode with Air Sharing, nor can you view thumbnails. I've also heard about Data Case, File Magnet, and some others. All of these cost money and I don't want to spend it without knowing what I'm getting.
  2. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I believe there is a way to disable the photo "optimization". Connect your iPod, and look for it in settings in iTunes.
  3. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Tell me if you find a way, I would like to know.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. NaMMeR

NaMMeR Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I love when people make assumed and uneducated guesses.

There is no way to put images on the ipod without compression...

On an ipod classic, you get an option to store the original images, but, they are not viewable, only saved in disc mode.
  5. Khiro

Khiro New Member

I love when people actually flame other who try to help. I mean, who is the real idiot? You should really start thinking before you post, just to avoid being rude and stuff like that. Unnecessary stuff.
  6. roadsterboy

roadsterboy New Member

this can go on forever .....lol
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

doesnt it not optimize images that are downloaded through safari? this means you could just put the images up on flickr or something then download them to your ipod.

another option is to get aomething like mobilefinder and put them into that app. I have it and it works well. you connect to your ipod wirelessly through the built in functions on your computer, and put files directly into the app. no jailbreak required. and the image scan zoom and pan justy like normal. the only thing it doesnt have is slideshows and I dont think it automatically turns images when you go into landscape. maybe i'm wrong.
  8. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

Its called photos.app lol