Anyone in Canada get VOIP to work????

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by Rawd, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Sorry for starting another thread on my problem, but I am trying to figure out if I should waste more time on this, or if is a problem with being in Canada.

I am using voipraider, and I can get it to work through my pc. When I try on the ipod, it either freezes on 'dial' or goes straight to 'hangup' and does nothing after I leave it for 10 minutes. I have everything spelled properly in the settings, and I have rebooted.. uninstalled and re-installed about 5 times now.

Please reply to this post if you are in Canada, and have got it working. Thanks.
  2. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Rawd, I did; I'm using freecall for tests.

BTW: BC Canada.
  3. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Ok, thanks Andy. Could you PM me with some more details, and maybe help me with my problem?
  4. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I can't exactly debug the issue from afar, but here's a few things that I've noticed happening with diff ppl:
    1) They forgot their wifi was disabled/not connected... yes, I know it sounds dumb, but I've heard several of this occuring.
    2) They entered first character of their password in upper case because iPod automatically tries to do that for you. Password is CaSE SenSTivE, so be sure to enter it exactly as you have it.
    3) You need a fairly decent internet connection... I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a 56K dialup VoIP call...
    4) Be sure to have the registrar entered exactly as it is suppose to be. For a list of providers and their registrar, please check my sticky thread in this forum.
    5) It does take around 6 to 10 seconds from when the button turn red (hang up) before your phone starts to ring... at least from my experience it does. Give it some time and see if that works out. You should also see your modem flashing to show connectivity.

lastly, 6) Be sure to kill any P2P program (Bit*******, eMule, Limewire etc.) that you're using, and stop any downloads you're going. VoIP involves sending not only voice data but also requests to the SIP server, as well as receive information back; as such, if you have no available bandwidth, you'll most likely have very crappy call or no call at all.
  5. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

I have had trouble with VoIP raider, I live in edmonton alberta canada. My problems seemed to be the same as yours, I could call on my computer and I could hear with no lag and no problem. Then I tried on my ipod (2 feet away from my router no dl's going and am using some highspeed cable) and it made my phone ring but I couldnt hear anything. I pressed like a bunch of buttons on my cell (about 20?) and I heard one button on my ipod. So I tried a different SIP server later on in the night and it worked perfectly on my ipod. Just try different providers.. Some send the data as it arrives so the sound will be choppy and others piece the data together and send it making you hear the person / sound a few seconds after the person has talked or the sound has been made. Personally I prefer that having a little delay in the time you hear someone is better then hearing them instantly but choppy... I would only assume they would hear you as very choppy aswell..

Anyways just try different providers, I would only assume the free ones are going to be sh*tty... Maybe see if you can do a demo thing with Vonage (they seem like a big enough company that they would offer a free trial service). If you cant do a trial service just go to a site where you have to buy min's to use on their site, then buy like a dollar worth (or smallest denomination) and try out their server... If you are going to use VoIp on your ipod your going to need to find a good server, you will probably end up paying since all the free ones are sh*tty servers (the ones I have encountered).

Tips:

1) Keep looking for good free providers.
    2) Try to find a provider where you have to pay and see if there is a demo available.
    3) Join a provider where you need to pay and pay the least ammount possible to test your iPod to see if its worth it.
    4) Wait for a possible fix in the VoIp application?
  6. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Andy and Haggard.. Thanks very much for your detailed responses. I have tried everything in Andy's post already, and voipraider was the 3rd provider I tried. I guess I will try a few more providers, and see what happens. Thanks again. And Haggard... I'm in Sherwood Park

Please Register or Log in to view images

Some more info.. and one more question:

When I try to log in with the touch, and nothing happens, then I try to log in with the pc, the pc still works. So, I am assuming that it is not even trying with the touch. Also, the lights don't even blink once on my router..

Question: How does the prgram react when working properly... meaning.. Does the cursor after the number continue to blink? Is there supposed to be a pause or anything after you hit 'dial'? Is there supposed to be any dailing sound in the ipod? Thanks again..
  7. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Type in the number so for example lets say me number is 9132797

To call it I would enter my account info then enter in "0017809132797" and press return on the keyboard. Then I would press Dial. Hiding the keyboard doesnt make a difference nor does anything else you do before or after clicking dial. After you click it the button changes color and says Hang Up if it does this then it has attempted to connect to the SIP server. If it connects then great it will proceed with the call , if not then nothing will happen. This has to do with the developers, they should have added in a time out function.

If no lights on your router blink, you are not connected to your network or for some reason your iPod isnt connecting to that server. Try to go on the internet with your iPod if it works then there is something wrong with the server. I will try to find the one I was using earlyer.

BTW I am in NE Edmonton, Clareview =D So I am about 20 mins away from you. lol
  8. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

hey guys i live in toronto and freecall doesnt work, tell me what providers u guys use
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Got it working with voipbuster!!! Thanks to everyone... I guess it was the provider.

It is a little bit choppy, so I will still try different ones. Once I buy a mic, I will probably pay for a good provider.
  10. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

To save money find a good provider first, and see if you will actually use VoIp, In edmonton about 30% of places I go to have unsecure Wi Fi or Secure WiFi with a stupid password. I have noticed most of these connections are slow... If they are slow it will hinder your ablility to call and to talk. Even in Rexall there are 5 or 6 WiFi networks for fans, media, players etc... All these are secure except media and fans. All are slow aswell, even the media when Rexall is empty is slow. Anyways just a word of advice, next time your out and have your iPod with you, check your favoroite spots and see if they have WiFi and check the signal strength aswell as connection speed

Please Register or Log in to view images