anyone get vids lower then a gig?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Raptor5150, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    why on my other 30 gb toshiba gigabeat S can i convert movies and they come out to 300mb each and this is in widescreen format (i tilt the gigabeat sideways) and i watch like 39 movies but with the touch it takes 1gb each for a movie i only want these movies i have live free or die hard, the simpsons movie, transformers (2 gigs trans is) i only want superbad and then planet terror shootem up maybe and maybe smokin aces

is there anyway without reducing quality u can make movies under 1 gig and im not talking about 800-900mbs im talking lower anyone had movies smaller then that??
  2. AliasMrJones

AliasMrJones New Member

For a given codec, file size vs. quality is a direct tradeoff. You can cram a movie into 400mb, but it will be lower quality than one that is 1 gig. There is no way around this. Try encoding your movie using h.264 at 512 kbps or less and I think you'll get what you're looking for size-wise, though I encoded Transformers at that rate and wasn't happy with the quality.
  3. Eragon

Eragon New Member

File size is related to total bit rate (video plus audio), as well as the codec you are encoding. All of my movies are encoded at 1500 kbps (avc264) because I like playing the video on my TV monitor. Depending on screen size you intend to view the movie, you may be able to lower the video bit rate (and file size) substantially.
  4. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yea um english please
  5. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  6. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

read what he said. do it again. then proceed to read it again. after reading it thoroughly, read it once more if you still dont understand. if, again, you still did not understand, go for a walk around the block, then repeat the above steps over.

heres an easy way of interpreting what he said. say if you rip a song from your cd and then you convert it to a 128kbps/44khz formatted mp3, your file size will be estimated around 3mb (assuming the song is roughly 3 minutes). now, say you rip a song and then you convert it to a 320kbps/44khz (being based that the song is also roughly 3 minutes as well), the file size of the coverted mp3 will be bigger (better quality = bigger filesize)

seriously. if you have time to mingle with your ipod and "hack" it, spend some time and do some research before you post useless comments. use google. use the wikipedia. use this forum. a google search for "bitrate" will give you the wikipedia article all about bitrates.

stop noobing around.
  7. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice, he will probably go do it too lol.

n00b!
  8. Necro

Necro New Member

I´m using Xvid4Psp, a 90min movie has about 600MB and looks great.
    I use 2pass, 768kb and x264h.
  9. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I've gotten a movie in 300 mb, though it wasn't mp4. When it did convert, I got it to an astonishing 500 mb.
  10. TheNazgul

TheNazgul Member

All my movies are 700mb or abouts why do you want to cram a video into a sh*t format/bitrate. How many times you planning on watching the same movies again?

I have a policy where once i've watched it then i remove it.

Just put indiana jones and the last crusade on my touch.. w00t cant wait to watch it @ work 2moro while everyone thinks im doing "actual" work...

Please Register or Log in to view images