Anyone figure out how to get rid of the gloss behind app store app icons?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by gtrplyr, Aug 4, 2008.

1. gtrplyr

gtrplyr Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    anyone figure that out? when i change an icon i got from the app store to a badge icon, it still has that gloss that covered the original square icon. anyone know where that is located so i can delete it?
  2. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    this is what i did to all mine

just open winscp or something that lets you edit the extentions on files and change all your .ipa's into .zip's, open them and go inside the payload folder, then extract the appname.app and ssh it into /applications
  3. gtrplyr

gtrplyr Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

hmmm, that sounds risky but it sounds like a good idea, does it get rid of the gloss?
  4. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    it just turns them into normal apps, like jailbreak-cydia-ones

you can't uninstall them without sshing, etc.

so yeah it gets rid of all the background nonsense
  5. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    That's actually really smart, I never thought of doing that, thanks for the tip!
  6. PAEz

PAEz New Member

Or if your using Winterboard you can get rid of the shadow and highlight overlay by creating a directory in your themes directory called UIImages and put two totally transparent pngs in there called AppIconOverlay.png and AppIconShadow.png and thatll get rid of em.
    Just use the blank.png I attached and rename it.
    Or you could make something else o course.

Oh and theres another file called AppIconMask.png that has to do with it, might wanna mess with that aswell.

Attached Files:

7. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Go to macthemes2.net and go to the iPhone Discussion section and you'll see a Topic called 2.0 Glos Mod (I think) and download the artwork there
  8. gtrplyr

gtrplyr Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

wouldnt that not allow upgrades to the apps tho? i still want to be able to update my apps from app store
  9. teh_peng00in

teh_peng00in New Member

well i messed around with it much as well and really winterboard takes care of that really. i am currently, somehwat converting Jaymzleon's Iron Man theme for 2.0 with the most popular icons and among the apps i have which is around 80 or so. Umm i do not have Super Monkey Ball as i think paying $10 for it is a little much, and i am not into cracked apps. Since i would like to update my apps. Anyways I have changed the icons of Banner Free, Movies and SimpleRSS atm as testing. When i changed it manually after i restarted my iPhone the apps wouldn't open. But winterboard fixes that without actually changing the actual icon in the actual folder. Anyways that gets rid of the mask. Oh and you can expect the iron man theme in a week or so. check the thread for more info. =]