Anyone else with deja vu?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tsubame, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just can't help notice that there is a lot of negative press in the same exact way that there was around the iPod and iPhone launches.

When the iPod launched, people scoffed at the hard-drive size, the software required, the connection capabilities, and the fact that nobody really wanted MP3 players. The iPod was a breakout hit that revolutionized the MP3 market.

When the iPhone launched, people scoffed at the touch interface, the lack of a physical keyboard (sound familiar?), that it 'couldn't do anything my smartphone can't, the lack of Flash (sound familiar?), multitask, or the cost. The iPhone was a breakout hit that revolutionized not just the smartphone market, but the entire way people thought about portable computing.

The iPad has been announced, people are scoffing at the interface, the lack of a physical keyboard, the lack of flash, multitasking, and the cost. With Apple's track record, do you think they know something about their target audience, and will the iPad follow the trend and revolutionize the market?

I think it's deja vu over again, and the cynics just have short memories of what happened about the last scoffed Apple devices. I think the iPad will be at least as revolutionary as those devices, but instead of revolutionizing an existing market, it'll create an entire new one.

Yes, I'm buying one for the record, if that weren't obvious.
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Sorta feels like Deja Vu,
    I want to get away from this place I do.

It does sound similar. But when the iPhone first came out, like the actual day. There was way more hype, and everyone wanted one. With the iPad, it was cool at first, but the first day everyone was disappointment. Only some realized what it actually can do.

(why was I typing in such past tense? it was yesterday lol)

I do agree with most of your points.
  3. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I wasn't aware of the iPod launch at that time since I was to young. I was for the iPhone and I do agree. Newsweek has a good explantion for all of this. I even dug up an old article regarding the iPod and its negative press.

Here's Newsweek,
  4. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good point. It's the rumors that fly around that make everyone angry; if Apple would just keep a tighter hold on their product info, everyone would be happy. People get all hyped up for this 5-camera, 20 GHz processor, less than an ounce, paper-thin tablet wonder-machine, and then they get disappointed when Apple introduces a great product.
  5. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I liked that article, I especially think that last paragraph was very accurate, where it was a decent enough (not spectacular) device on day one, but that the real merit of the device isn't apparent on day one. Even as a supporter of the device, I think I agree fully with that.
  6. Zc456

Zc456 Member

They tried. But people like McGraw-Hill kept gloating on about it days before the announcement.
  7. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    maybe that's why they didn't show up on the iBook producer page at the keynote xD