anyone else who can boot their computer with Remote app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by felixen, Oct 2, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have 2 computers added in my Remote app, laptop and desktop. One day I accidentally hit Desktop in the remote app while my computer was shut down (not on standby, shut down) and just like that my computer started. I then tried with my laptop and it didnt work on that one.

But it works on the desktop each time I do it, its weird (but very cool considering the whole WOL thing was a bit too geekalicious, I definitely didnt understand a thing of that except its purpose, which I really liked).

So did anyone else try this? And if you know exactly how this works, how can I set it up to work on my laptop as well?
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Umm? :\
    Sounds odd because your computer's off... it wouldn't even recieve a signal to say "Turn On" coz it's off..

WOL only works if the PC is in standby I think..
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    erm.. thats technically impossible :\ if its fully shutdown, then it wouldn't even be connected to the network to be booted. Unless it wasn't fully shut down.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.
  4. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hehe just tried again and no luck.. I guess it's been on standby each time I did it.. I was just certain I had hit the shut down button and booted it up with Remote, but I must have hit standby instead. that sucks.. but I can still turn it on from standby though hehe
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    okay, doesnt work AT ALL now. I swear I used this for maybe 4 days straight. I was also certain that I had it shut down some of the times but I too think it sounds weird.. but now it doesnt work at all, not even at standby. So weird and man it sucks!
  5. dontbugme

dontbugme New Member

6. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    so you run the app and choose the library and then the entire computer turns on
    no way in the world my dad said it wouldnt work and hes a computer geek
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4

aint all our dads computer geeks lol
  8. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    true but he builds software like CAD and stuff
  9. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Why do people assume that computer geeks can't be wrong about computer stuff?
  10. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    some pcs can be turned on while theyre shutted down except they're disconnected from the power/network (cable plugged out) the mechanism is called "Wake On LAN" and it can be activated in the BIOS.
    but I dunno if Remote.app supports that - i dont think so...
    but it definetly IS possible to cause a remote boot with sending a signal over LAN!

it doesnt work on all motherboards but many new boards are supporting this feature. (you can see that when you shutdown your computer and let the netcable plugged in - the signal-LED on your network card will stay on