Any working file browsing utilities like the MobileFinder suite of 1.1.x?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Darlyn, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Finder is great at browsing, but what if I want to edit/preview the files? I know I can use terminal for the editing, but that is a pain. The only text editor, gTxtEdit, is a bloody joke, and there's no viable form of viewing images like we were able to on MobilePreview. Typing in paths into Safari is too arduous.

Have I not looked hard enough? Someone should really get started on porting these marvelous apps from 1.1.x.
  2. silfer

silfer New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can get the mobilefinder from the appstore. I think this is an updated version of the 1.1.x mobile finder and its awesome!
  3. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

mobilefinder is on cydia

Please Register or Log in to view images

I tried it on my 2.2 last night worked fine
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You can only edit TXT files with the MobileStudio program on App Store - but MobileFinder on Cydia for 2.x will let you preview files. And both of THEM view images just fine.
  5. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    MobileFinder does not display images. It makes a thumbnail of the image, but you cannot view it fullsize. Neither does it "preview files", whatever that is supposed to mean.

MobileStudio isn't allowed full access to the file system. You can't view /tmp, or many of the directories in ~/Applications. Copy and paste is restricted as well, working only in some folders.

Why hasn't anyone ported working versions of these apps?? I'm learning Objective-C just so I can have a shot at this, but I'd rather have someone more experienced than me do this (Jay, Skylar...)
  6. Jarlath

MobileFinder HAS been ported to 2.0 - by Saurik. And it works - yes, you can't use the Preview feature, but that's because that was never implemented in the Google Code project he used the code from, and it never worked right in 1.1.4 anyways. MobileStudio CAN open those files; search "Enable Root Access with MobileFinder" on the forum, but all you have to do is get the program out of /var/mobile/Applications, which by its nature sandboxes the applications run from within it.

It's kinda amazing what a minute's worth of searching can turn up. All you need to do is move a folder, set permissions, and you're done. Beyond that, you never specified you wanted FULL access to the system - MobileStudio has a built in WebDAV and FTP server, which would let you upload files to it for viewing or editing. No programs in the App Store can edit nything but text files, IIRC - ditto the jailbreak applications.
  7. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    *sigh* I wasn't clear enough. I am aware of the MobileStudio circumvention, but that does not give you full root access. Sure, you can browse most folders in the root directory, but say you wanted to actually modify them? It won't let you copy/paste/move like the ported MobileFinder does. Neither can it change file names.

All I'm saying is that we need a complete port of the 1.x.x MobileFinder suite (TextEdit, ImageView). At the moment all we have is the file browsing portion of those apps, MobileFinder.
  8. Jarlath

The reason there's not a full port is because THAT source code was never released and Saurik could only work with what was available on the Google Code page - which never included those 'updates' made by other people. Beyond that, if you'd done the search I'd suggested ("Enable Full Access with MobileFinder"), you'd know that you have to create a symlink to the root directory from the /var/mobile/Documents folder that gets created when you move MobileStudio out of the /var/mobile/Applications folder into just /Applications. That gives you full root-level navigation again, and you can add other symlinks to be the same sort of bookmark/shortcuts that you did in the old MobileFinder (which itself created symlinks to those locations in its own /var/mobile/Library/MobileFinder/Bookmarks folder).

And the only reason you can't change filenames and move files is because you haven't given those other folders the right permissions - those folders you're navigating to are owned by the user 'mobile', which means you have to set permissions to +777 using either the Terminal (and su root/alpine) or else do so via WinSCP and/or MobileFinder from Cydia. Or you set MobileStudio's actual code (in the MobileStudio.app folder) to have permissions 4755, which gives it the same sort of system-level access that it used to have (and which used to get assigned to it by Cydia).

By the way, all of this data I gave you I turned up via searches on here and on Google. Amazing what a little initiative can do.