Any way to have Kate without the problems?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdschramm, Mar 11, 2009.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well as you know, kate and the five icons locked me out of my iPod and left me at a SWOD. I did everything possible via ssh and nothing could be done to fix it. I've been trying to jailbreak with 2.2.1 but PwangeTool keeps giving me the cat with a red x saying an error occurred.

...ANYWAYS, so atleast temporartly, I am back on 2.1 jailbroken like I had before and fifured I could do whatever with it as if I messed it up, I wouldn't loose anything.

So installed Kate and its actually not that bad. My question is, is there anyway I can Install Kate and NOT have any issue (like the scrambled icons, etc)

I know none of you like Kate because of the problems it causes but if you have nothing you loose, you could give it a try again.

Its kind of like AOL - It was had some unique features, but always caused problems when you used it or after you removed it.

Thanks
    Scott
  2. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    why use kate? there is a 5 icon dock in cydia and reflections on your dock package in cydia.
  3. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

dont use kate.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

What unique features does it have again, which weren't provided by free alternatives which were available via Cydia? Five-icon dock? Reflective docks? Changing the font on the springboard? Causing permanent SWODs and scrambled icons? Well, I'll admit the last feature isn't available with WinterBoard or with any other program from a legitimate Cydia source...
  5. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Name me an app with a graphic eq.....name a winterborad add-on that adds effects to the text labels of icons (like shadow, glow)...name program that gives more font choices then FontSwap and name a program that can EASILY change the "slide to unlock" text without having to SSH in, edit a strings file and then overwrite it.

Kate really used to be worthless, but atleast with the 2.1, its worth a second look - OR tell me alternative apps that can do the above?!?
  6. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)

Just shows your search capabilities in cydia. Except for the graphic eq (which I am not sure if it is present) all other things you have mentioned is there in cydia. fontswap is great and to edit system strings you can use customize if you don't want to edit system strings manually. Yes, it is true that customize crashes a lot initially but it is way better than kate. Kate was/is/willbe worthless!!

P.S: If you still don't know how to search, don't bother members here. It's a piece of cake to get all these features in cydia
  7. pss

pss New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ripdev didn't really do all that much good for the jailbreaker's circle, so I'd steer clear of anything they made.
  8. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Excuse Me, but I do search and I have never found anything, so that is why I'm asking.

There is no graphic EQ, FontSwap is ok, but could use some more fonts (The ones in Kate are better) and Customize has NEVER worked correctly since 1.1.1 - so don't pull that one on me.

And as for the other things I mentioned, they are not on cydia either.

I encourage YOU to do some searching, and don't be susprised if you don't find anything like you think there is!!
  9. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The name of the package for your shadows and glow is " Icon glow" and "icon shadows". If you dont know how to add fonts to fontswap don't come over here and cry. There are more than 100 fonts in my library. Check the customize website for crying out loud they have a new version which should solve the problem. Don't tell me what to search and what not to when I code apps on cydia dude. Use your brain and add the required repos and search properly if you still cant find then it shows you are a dud because all the required packages are shown both on my iphone and ipod.

Never seen a bigger nut than you though!
  10. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you can change the slide to unlock string in winterboard

in your theme just add: /Bundles/com.apple.springboard/en.lproj/SpringBoard.strings

the SpringBoard.strings file should be as follows;

"AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" = "";
    "POWER_DOWN_LOCK_LABEL" = "" ;
    "SLIDE_TO_ANSWER" = "" ;
    "SLIDE_TO_LISTEN" = "" ;
    "SLIDE_TO_CALL_BACK" = "" ;
    "SLIDE_TO_CANCEL" = "" ;
    "SMS_LOCK_LABEL" = "" ;

or change them to whatever you want.