iOS 4.0 Any way to disable the unified inbox?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Draco_Red, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Draco_Red

Draco_Red Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Just a quick question, but does anyone know of a way to disable the unified inbox feature in iOS 4? I know that this feature is great for most people, but I've got both my work and my personal email accounts set up on my phone and I like to keep them separate. And besides, with how many IMAP folders and filters I have set up on my work email the old style of organization and sorting worked much better for my purposes.

Also, is there a way to tell Mail to ignore and not sync individual IMAP folders? This goes back to my filters, which shove some of my less needed emails to folders that I can, but rarely do check.

Thanks.
  2. Beans48

Beans48 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Don't think so, at least I haven't seen anything like this yet, is there still no way of selecting all messages as read either?
  3. MarioKartMaster

MarioKartMaster New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You don't need to disable the unified inbox. If you go to your list of mailboxes, you can look at the seperate inboxes for each of your accounts.
  4. Draco_Red

Draco_Red Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I saw that, it just bugs me how cluttered it looks. Instead of showing two accounts it show three inboxes and then the two accounts. Just nit-picky of me I know, but I would like to have it back the way it was previously. Always got to love when they add a new and improved feature, but done't give a way to disable it. Although it is fully consistent with Apple's design philosophy of "Do it the way we say or GTFO." Almost as good as "We don't need to add any of the 'confusing' error messages because our stuff never fails."
  5. steinerc

steinerc New Member

I also need to disable the unified inbox in spite of what anyone else thinks. Any suggestions?
  6. Draco_Red

Draco_Red Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I never could find a way to disable it, ended up downgrading back to 3.1.3 so that I could Jailbreak my phone again (unfortunately that's what it came with, so no 3.1.2 blobs for me). It may be possible through a plist edit (best bet there would be comparing the settings files from the old version with the new); or if you're really serious it *might* be possible to replace the new mail app with the older version via ssh. *Might* be possible, however it *might* brick your phone; just be forewarned.
  7. AttackAniPod

AttackAniPod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is kinda confusing. You've got accounts then accounts again.
  8. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

I find the unified inbox very helpful for someone like me that has three email accounts and dont feel like switching to each account to read my other emails... I like it. But Suppose I can see your guys point if there a way to turn it off by default... but like stated above from the other posts. Thats all you can do.
  9. Gertlex

Gertlex New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    At least Thunderbird got it right when it implemented this sort of feature... and still allows you to switch to "old" style.

Glad I haven't updated my 2gTouch to 4.0

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Draco_Red

Draco_Red Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'll keep looking into it as I have time; will likely have to wait until the general iOS 4 Jailbreak is released so that I can access the file system and see what's different with the settings, etc. The unified inbox is great if you want access to all your email at once; but not so great for keeping work and personal emails separate; guess it goes to show that there's never a "one size fits all" approach for user interfaces.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ^^^^
    Wait, what? Who uses that many semicolons in a single sentence? I do? Humm... must be getting too tired; need to take a nap; all work and no play; etc.

(Yes, that time was intentional. Must need to rest if I'm really outright mocking myself.)