Any tips for a first-time 4g owner?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dd_ny, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My iPod is coming in the mail tomorrow! Any tips for me on keeping it safe, testing it for defects, or good apps? I'm just asking for general tips, so anything is helpful.

(BTW, I'm the one who had the mishap with Amazon. Turns out my iPod is coming much earlier than expected!)
  2. Brand0n777

Brand0n777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Get a hard case! And an Invisible Shield for a screen protector!
  3. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I heard hard cases were bad. I heard it's best to get a TPU, or rubber/gel like case. And definitely get a screen protector, even though many claim it's not necessary. It will save the screen just IN CASE anything happens. I'm thinking about getting a back protector, as I can see new scratches forming on the back, even though it's covered nearly 24/7.
  4. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

I've actually found in the past that the hard cases cause scuffing to the steel back. Happened to both me and my friend. So I went with a soft, TPU case this time and a regular screen protector.

Is Zagg difficult to install? I wanted something similar to Zagg but decided against it because of all the bad reviews it gets (due to how hard installation is) and I don't want it to cause any drag on the screen when I swipe my finger. I do want something that will keep the back in mint condition, however.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    What did you cover your back with? All I have is TPU and I plan on cleaning it to be sure its free of dirt so I don't get a scratched back. I really hope the case I bought is tight fitting so dust doesn't get caught in the back and scratch it because I plan on selling mine later.
  5. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Apps:
    Facebook (if ya got one)
    papi jump
    flood-it
    cube runner
    jelly car
    pong 72
    paper toss
    coin frenzy
    flip cup free
    tap tap revolution 3
    gravity runner
    scoops
    mrrunner
    doodle squares
    dismount
    falldown
    tone pad

Defects: Take it in a dark room, and crank the brightness up and look closely at the front cam and all the way around the sides, do this often as light leaks can develop if your ipod gets too warm
    Home button: Just see how the home button feels
    Anything else would reveal itself

Case: TPU best case you can get, good decision, I personally wouldnt get a screen protector because the screen is glass so its not like it will scratch all that easily and if you drop it and it hitts glass first the screen protector wont stop it from shattering...

Cleaning it: Dont use a wash cloth, it scratches, but a damp tissue or paper towel shouldnt scratch and not wet but damp, it will get rid of the finger prints and make it look all shiney... try to get a micro-fiber cloth though, thats best..

For a wall paper, incase you dont have one in mind, i like this one, cuz its funny...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope this helps!
  6. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Don't drop it in the toilet
  7. kratos215

kratos215 Member

Check it for defects. I thought I had only a little light leak on my ipod, and now it appears to have spread. My ipod has also been heating up quite a bit, so check for that too. And yeah, I got mine from amazon. I'll be returning it to them tomorrow BTW, they're actually pretty cool with the return service. They gave me a shipping label and everything, so now I just have to play the waiting game again.
  8. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

If you get a Invisible Shield I recommend paying best buy 7.99 to do it. Cause like me I couldnt do it right. Then again my hands shake... And I cant control why my hands shake. It takes alot of timing. But best buy did a great job replacing my Invisible Shield I got from them at the store and did a exchange and installed it for me. Day three and there no bubbles. The lady did an awesome job on it. I couldnt have ask for anything and very pleased with the Invisible Shield.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Be careful with some silicon cases. They put white, ugly marks on the backing, and almost impossible to get rid of.
  10. starcraftjunkie

starcraftjunkie New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Get IS, take advantage of their 40-50% off coupon from their ipad give away. It's like 17.50$ shipped for the full body (40% off). I thought I didn't need to get a protector, but it magicly gets scratched from powerful wizards from Microsoft trying to sabotage apple products. Plus I seem to get way too many smudges on my naked screen, makes it feel like crap at times.

Plus, get a wall charger if you're not alway by a computer.