Any Recommendations About This Gaming Rig?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by ubunix, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please leave feedback!

Also do you think I should ditch the core i7, and get a cheaper motherboard, memory, and graphics card?

I want to be able toplay Cyrsis warhead and newer games in the future decently.
  2. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you are gonna go 9800, go 9800GTX+. Go for i7.
  3. Led

Led Banned

Most games (including crysis) are Dual-core optimized, not quad core. The Nehalem should fair well but a high ghz dual core might be better for gaming. I have no first hand experience but you should look into a 3.16 ghz dual core.

No OS, no speakers, and no mouse, but you probably have those lying around. It would be best to get a 64-bit OS.

Here's an EVGA 9800 gtx+ super clocked edition for the same price but a higher clock speed (and maybe some other stuff): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420

Here's a 22X SATA DVD/CD drive for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152

Otherwise it looks good. Here's my wish list if you want to take a look at it. the system itself is about 800-900 dollars but i added some stuff that i would need (wifi, new keyboard and mouse, and a sticker). No monitor though (i'll be using a 19" flatscreen that i have now as a monitor): https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=6011629

I feel like i shouldn't be saying anything because i haven't built a pc or have a decent rig, but i feel like i know what i'm talking about.
  4. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks! Ok yea Im going to buy a good core 2 duo and overclc*ck it, I'll use the extra money to buy another graphics card or a better one at least.
  5. Led

Led Banned

Take a look at nVidia's gtx series. With 100-200 dollars you get from changing mobo and cpu i would spring for the gtx 260: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434
  6. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Nice setup, but change some core details

1) You dont need core i7. If you really must/want to get quad core, get a Core 2 Quad with more Mhz.

2) 3GB of RAM. Seriously?

3) If you plan to play the super games like Crysis on high settings, I would suggest looking into the GTX series. Here is a cheaper link than above http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

The GTX 260 was tested and beat the Radeon HD 4780 1GB in almost every test.

Anyway, nice thread, keep this update because I am also building a gaming rig

PS: What website is this? Prices are pretty nice
  7. Led

Led Banned

I agree with everything he says. The site is newegg.com. It's great.
  8. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Really? I use new egg all the time but never saw that page. Is that the wishlist?

*Edit*

One quick question, what are some motherboards that support an AMD processor and an Nvidia graphics card?]

Because I want my setup to have the Phenom II X4 920 and the GTX 260. Should run crysis on high right?
  9. Led

Led Banned

Card compatiblity is determined by slot type. Modern cards are made for PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots and most modern mother boards have at least 1 (some have up to 3 for crossfire and sli). If your motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, it can run any graphics card made for PCI Express 2.0 x16 (considering the psu is adequate and other stuff).

If your making a gaming computer then i would highly advise you to go with an intel processor. In all the benchmarks i've seen, Intel beats their AMD couterparts hands down. There's a reason why they're cheaper. I would also go with a Core 2 Duo processor because, like i said earlier, most games are only dual core optimized and they're cheaper than Core 2 Quad (I would still go with a 2.8 quad instead of a 2.8 duo(if i had the money), but i would go with a 3.0 duo over a 2.4 quad (same price)).

When picking out a mobo, choose your processor first, find the slot type and go from there. Newegg, as you probably know, has a great guided search where you can choose from various options. Narrow it down by cpu compatibility (intel or amd) and then slot type.
  10. bryster126

bryster126 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    that is one tricked out pc