Any practical uses for a 1G touch w/o backlight?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yerffej, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My sister's 1G ipod touch had an accident with water about a year ago, and now the back light don't work, and it's been in a drawer since then. I don't feel like buying parts or spending a lot of money to repair it, so I was thinking. Are there any good uses that can be done with it?
    There is always the pump it full of music and 'shuffle' option, but can anyone think of anything else cooler? Or, is there a low-cost way of repairing it? Its a 16GB 1G jailbroken 1.1.4, but I'm willing to update it to 3.1.2 if anyone can think of a good reason to do so.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Install a collection of command line utils from Cydia, connect to wifi, plug it into the wall. Boom—remote, SSH-accessible UNIX workstation.

If you're into that sort of thing

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sounds kinda neat, but I'm not necessarily into that sort of thing (yet). Maybe I can set up FireFlyMediaServer on it since its still 1.1.4 and have 16GB of media accessible on my network. Does that work on 3.1.2?
    Keep the ideas rolling, its a shame to have this ipod live its life in storage collecting dust.
  4. Ruud91

Ruud91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Buy a cheap video cable (pm me for site) ssh in iphone replace file to make the cable work and pump your iphone full series and movies so you have a nice little video box

which you can take to friends etc.. Did it with my ipod and I use it a lot again

5. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That too sounds cool, I think I'll also try screensplter so i can see the screen on my laptop. I'm also gonna see if I can buy it off her cheap or see if she'll even give it to me, because it literally collects dust