Any openSUSE users out there?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mmitt, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has ever used openSUSE. I'm thinking about switching to it on account of ubuntu messing wine up. I'm told Suse will run more friendly with Wine, and I have 3 gigs of RAM so no need to worry about memory. Is it easier to install, manage, organize things?
    Thanks!
  2. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Fedora are all basically the same besides the package managers they use.
  3. wibble

wibble New Member

naaah. Go OpenSolaris if you have that much ram to waste.
  4. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OpenSolaris? Seriously, I've never heard of that... Is it actually simpler to use than Ubuntu?
    Cyanide, doesn't Gnome use Nautilus? I think openSUSE uses it too... So there must be some other difference, no?
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    To my knowledge, Ubuntu shouldn't mess up WINE. How exactly did WINE break and did you try a complete removal and reinstall?
  6. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wine itself didn't break. None of the applications or games I put on it would work. They would show up in the wine menu, but if I tried to run them, they would crash immediately without an error. I might seem a bit ignorant here, but Wine seems to work perfectly on other people's identically set up computers (minus a different distro), so I figure it must be Ubuntu. If you have any ideas, let me know man.
  7. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    IMO, the best way to get windows apps working in Linux is to use a virtual machine running XP. Download VirtualBox and install XP on a dynamically-increasing HD image. Since you have plenty of RAM to spare, you can be generous and give the VM up to 1gb. It should run very smoothly, and you are guaranteed max compatibility.

The kicker here is VirtualBox's "seamless mode." This is very similar to VMWare Fusion for Mac - it lets you run Windows apps natively on the Linux desktop. So, for example, you could be running Internet Explorer and Amarok on the same Linux desktop, side by side.

This is how I handle my Windows needs, and is very very effective. The best part is that I can set up a dropbox between my VM and physical XP install to keep both installs "up to date" with all of my school documents. You should definitely try it out. (If you're using Wine for gaming, I think VB now has 3d acceleration too.)
  8. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the advice. I have already tried this though, since my computer didn't cone with a Vista install disk, the best I can do right now is Win7, and it is in Beta... All I have is a stupid D drive named recovery, yay. And the computers were from our school so idk where i could even find a CD now. So yeah, i might try win7 but i haven't burned it yet. I just used a virtual drive thing. Ok thanks man.
  9. wibble

wibble New Member

In my opinion, if you want to run windows programs. Boot into windows.

Who cares, the commander of midnight is better. But seriously, Opensolaris and zfs. wiki it.
  10. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    TinyXP. Google it.