Any "how to play... on guitarist" videos/tutorials?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Appstore 2.0, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

I can't actually play guitar in real life, but i can play keyboard so it's cool you don't have to strum or be particularly good to play the guitarist app from the Appstore.

I was wondering if there are any "how to" videos on youtube (i've searched, but they're not exactly tutorials)?

Please post any you find/ make some yourself (i'll be forever greatful).
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've seen a few tutorials on advanced finger-tapping, just for fun, but the best way to learn guitar is to take lessons. Find a teacher who has similar musical tastes and he/she can get you playing guitar better than any video.
  3. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Unless there is a music teacher who specifically teaches guitar via the iPhone/iPod touch application "guitarist" i don't think that would be of much help. Nice avatar btw.
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

well theres really nothing to learn about guitarist. you just need to understand (not necessarily be able to perform) the basics of guitar.

you hold your finger in between the notches (that area is called a fret.) and pluck the string or strum the group of strings you want to play. or you ccan leave the string open and still strum it. each fret is like a piano key, and has the some notes as a piano.(including the black keys - play around with the notes to see what I mean) the strings on a guitar in standard tuning go like this: E A D G B A.

I have been playing guitar for 5-6 years now, and I just got pocketguitar (same thing as guitarist) and I have to say its a lot harder on the ipod than in real life. the reason being is if you set it to have a lot of frets on the screen (on guitarist theres like waht, 5 frets on the screen at once?) then its harder to hit the ones you want. and since its a screen, you cant feel where youre putting your finger.

but like any instrument (or virtual instrument) practice makes perfect. try finding some tablature for an easy song (smoke on the water is a good one) and playing it.
    (if you dont know how to read tablature for a guitar, there is tutorials all over the internet. its very easy)
  5. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

I agree totally.

A real guitar is in all but three respects better than my app:-
    1) It doesn't fit in your pocket.
    2) It costs much more than $6.
    3) No one's going to say to you "HEY! That's cool!" unless you are _really_ good.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)

lol i would love to see a store w/ a sign in the window that reads "guitarist lessons on iphone and ipod touch""
  7. coolcosmos

coolcosmos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I did one of how to do a Sweet Home Alabama on PocketGuitar.
    Sorry Moo, but Pocketguitar is way better then Guitarist, it has a lot more options and much cheaper!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3N3XFtqx2c
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

true. I'm not trying to knock your app at ALL. in fact, I'm really upset that I only had $1 to spend on an app that I could use to "practice" on, because I was really hoping to get guitarist. maybe some time later... but although theyre hard to use, iphone guitar apps are great, especially just for basic understanding of the instrument and the notes each string/fret makes.
  9. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

OMG!!! That's what i wanted!

BTW Pocketguitar sucks compared to Guitarist and whats this about "it has a lot more options and much cheaper"? No it doesn't... AT ALL.

But still thanks for that video! Do more!
  10. fattoto25

fattoto25 Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    i can teach you how to play everything's magic on your ipod