Any help apprectiated (computer can't see DFU iPod)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ErgNerd, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ErgNerd

ErgNerd New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Everyone,

I've been trying as much of everything I know, and still haven't gotten anywhere. I've looked through posts for a while and haven't found any thing. Here's the deal.

Jailbroke a 2G ipod, it's been running flawlessly ever since redsnow came out. I've rebooted it multiple times, and understand how the process works.

Recently, I reinstalled windows (wiping iTunes, libusb, c++ redistributable), and reinstalled the last two programs. The installers I used are from Cywood's guide.

Two days ago, my wifi started acting up (couldn't see any local access points, and I know there were some around), so I turned it off, to reboot it later when I got back to my computer.

So, now, whenever I plug the iPod in, I put it into DFU mode, but Windows cannot see it as DFU. But I know I'm putting it into DFU mode properly, windows just sees it as a "USB Device" rather than DFU, and then tries to prompt me to install drivers for it. I'm doing the 10/10 and 20/10, and all do the same thing - it's plugged in, as a unrecognizable device, then you do the DFU process (hold both home and power), wait for the first sound as if you have unplugged something, then do the home button, and it comes back in, but windows keeps calling it a USB device, and nothing else. I've tried several different timing sequences and "dfu helpers", but nothing seems to have a different result. The iPod is going into DFU, as far as I know, but the computer just can't see it as so.

I'm using 1clickboot (latest version), but because the iPod cannot be seen, it sits there saying waiting for iPod in DFU mode. When I try the DFU mode helper (.bat), it opens, I press a key to signal I'm ready, then it spews out the count down in a split second saying "cannot find specified path" in between each line.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled libusb, and the c++ package several times, with no luck. I've also installed iTunes, but it doesn't even see the iPod. Just launches and sits there when the iPod is plugged in and put into DFU.

Perhaps I'm being incredibly stupid, but I'm stumped on this one. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

EDIT: My apologies, I meant to post this in the red snow section.

-erg
  2. eric780

eric780 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When your iPod goes into DFU, it's supposed to not recognize it and it'll say USB Device has malfunctioned- One or more of your USB devices could not be recognized.

Download iTunes to confirm that it's in DFU mode. Then just boot it from there.
  3. Lucky7Syn

Lucky7Syn New Member

when u put in dfu mode since you use cywood jailbreak like me just repeat steps 5 6 7 they only take like 2 mintues this is what happneds you be you lazy..
  4. ErgNerd

ErgNerd New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

I already have iTunes installed and it does not do anything but sit there like I said in my original post. iTunes doesn't recognize iPod.

Cywood's guide won't work. If the computer can't see the iPod in DFU mode, how is it supposed to upload the patches to boot the device?

---

I get the USB devices can't be recognized after holding both power and home buttons for 10ish seconds, then after holding home button for additional 8 seconds, windows recognizes the iPod as a USB device, then starts the installation wizard for installing drivers for it. iTunes doesn't regonize as iPod in DFU.
  5. JAVIER

JAVIER New Member

my i pod docent want to turn on i try to put it in dfu mood and nothing is happening what should i do i need help or should i just get a new one
  6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wrong. Windows and lsusb see it as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver"