Any app that allows your ipod touch to share your PCs ram with it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by ipodtouchpwnd69, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ipodtouchpwnd69

ipodtouchpwnd69 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Im talking about a app that will allow you to have extra ram on your ipod touch through USB. The ipod touch has 128 MB of ram and i want to increase that by borrowing some of my PCs ram. I have 3g of ram and i would like my ipod to be able to access lets say 200 MB of my ram. Is this possible yet?
  2. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It wont ever be done or work. RAM has to be fast, and a USB connection isnt that snappy when compared to say RAM. So you might be able to do it, but it will be very slow, and will basically slow down your ipod.
  3. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah thats why if you want to install ram, you have to open your computer and thats why they dont sell usb ram
  4. Shadeslayer

Shadeslayer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is alos possible, and dangerous, to open ur ipod and put in more RAM. But it requires stealing the RAM from another ipod....
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    What? I have never heard of someone putting more RAM into there ipod....
  6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    thats cuz nobody buys a 3gs to upgrade the ram in theyre 2g
  7. ipodtouchpwnd69

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well im sure the ram in the ipod isnt all that fast probaly around the same speed as USB. and in Vista you can use a flash drive as ram so it might be possible with the ipod and its better going slow than a app crashing.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Vista ReadyBoost uses USB keys as SWAP drives (aka: cache memory to put things in when they're not immediately required), not as RAM. It's more 'memory', but it's not RAM - what Windows ends up doing, or any OS using a hard-drive or similar cache does, is swap what's currently in RAM and being used into cache so it can manipulate the data it pulled out of cache, then put it back while it deals with processing another request.

Also, let's compare some speeds here:

128MB SDRAM running on a system bus at around 133MHz, IIRC. The maximum bandwidth available of 1064MB/s. Yes, megabytes a second. This is the iPod Touch's RAM.

USB 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 480Mb/s - megaBITS per second, or about 60MB/S (8 bits = 1 byte). Remember that this is the absolute maximum bandwidth available to USB 2.0... which makes it 17.73 times slower than the SDRAM used in the iPod Touch. This does not count the processing time required to tell the iPod to pull things out of storage on the USB connection, or the PC's time to respond to this request over the USB port...

Hopefully you get the idea here.
  9. ipodtouchpwnd69

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well couldnt you use it as a page file or something?
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You couldn't reasonably use another system's RAM as a pagefile, since you'd lose any speed gains to the same bandwidth issue that exists if you're using a USB connection. The processing time required to handle all of the queueing that the iPod would have to do to switch data in and out of the cache through USB make it horribly impractical. You would lose any 'gains' from the extra swap file to the extra CPU time spent moving things over the USB connection to a remote system and back. There's a reason computers with less RAM who have to depend on swap files tend to run slower than computers with larger amounts of RAM onboard.

The main 'boost' in ReadyBoost wasn't that it 'added more memory' to a computer, but rather that it moved the swap file off the hard drive onto a flash drive with access time of less than 1ms and with > 4MB/s bandwidth. Only with current computers with their scads of processing power available, as well as the fast internal connections, makes this process even semi-usable as up until USB 2.0 or even Firewire 400 came out, external connections couldn't even come close to matching even the old IDE-style internal connectors as far as the ability to transfer large amounts of data quickly, due to the bandwidth problems.

You'd be better off getting a faster device with more RAM to begin with - you know, like an iPhone 3GS, or maybe the next-gen iPod Touch.