Anti-iTunes with 2G Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elars, Nov 28, 2008.

1. elars

elars New Member

Hello everyone.

I just registered and this is my first post. I have a question I haven't been able to research and find an answer for through searches, and was wondering if anyone is currently doing this? This will make or break whether I buy any other iPod aside from my Shuffle...

I hate iTunes. The software is great, except for the programming. Throughout version 7.x iTunes has screwed itself up in my registry whenever I tried to update it to the point where I have to manually remove all registry entries and manually remove all iTunes files and reinstall again. I choose to blame Mac programmers writing for Windows platform. Basically, I enjoyed iTunes, couldn't understand why it took so much resources and ran so slow but cut it slack, until it became a constant hassle for me, and I'd prefer to be able to not use iTunes and instead use any other available software to add/remove music and stuff from a 2G Touch.

I'll ask the Apple store if they can activate my touch when I buy it, or if I can use their computer to do that... With a new 2G touch, is there any software compatible other than iTunes to transfer everything to and from it? Anything for Linux? I don't care about firmware updates or jailbreaking currently, I would REALLY prefer to just NEVER install iTunes on my fresh Windows install and hopefully just be able to use my Linux partition as I'm gradually migrating entirely to Linux.

So does anyone have a 2G Touch, completely iTunes free post activation? Anyone on Linux?

Please Note: I don't want to hear anything about how iTunes "really isn't that bad/scary" because that's not the issue. I don't want software on my computer that's constantly running, whether I'm using it or not, and I really don't want something that keeps diarrhea-ing up my toilet of a registry that Windows still so desperately clings to. Ultimately, I'd like to own a 2G Touch that I can use simply with Windows and preferably Linux.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I'm afraid you're tied to iTunes if you're using an iPod - that's why iTunes is the biggest music store at the moment. You can use the onboard App Store and onboard iTunes to download applications, but you can't use anything on the desktop side to transfer that sort of data. For music, there's the WinAmp plugins... but for photos, videos, applications, and so forth, you're stuck. I don't know if Amarok'll manage the music on the iPod, not with the way the Touch handles the interactions now... as it's no longer a 'dumb' device.
  3. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Welcome to the forums.

You can activate it through a friend's computer, but I don't think you can sync it with any other program. So yeah. Maybe you could try a virtual machine that you only use for iTunes or something?
  4. elars

elars New Member

Silly me I didn't even think about that. Now the only question about that is whether or not the Touch will be recognized through the virtual machine via Linux, haha. Sounds like experiment time.

I wanted to keep Windows because the only thing Linux can't do is run Ableton Live, Microsoft ActiveSync (cellphone), and I'm unsure whether or not Linux will see my DSLR without a card reader. I don't need to replace the usb my camera uses with another usb device when I already have three MIDI controllers, keyboard, mouse, phone sync, shuffle dock, ir receiver. My controllers aren't supported through hubs, thanks to the programming of all the audio programs

Please Register or Log in to view images

Otherwise, I would just be completely Linux.

I vote for a purchasable iTunes syncing program for the PS3

I want a Touch ultimately for carrying a larger variety of music than my Shuffle can provide, and to cut my cell phone bill down (from $100/month), replacing my $20 monthly data plan with the use of free wifi, which is everywhere I go. That was enough to convince me I need a new toy

5. ZeRoNiXx

ZeRoNiXx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    MediaMonkey

MediaMonkey has iPod Touch/iPhone support so you can give it a try.

EDIT: you have to at least have the Apple Mobile Device Drivers installed for it to work
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    iPod Touch 2G definetely can NOT be synced with any software other than itunes!
    this is because the encryption of the iPod music DBs hasn't been reverse-engineered yet...
    so no other software can read/write to your ipod - especially 2G because it can not be jailbroken yet
  7. ZeRoNiXx

ZeRoNiXx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, MediaMonkey worked for mine as long as i had the Apple Mobile Device Drivers installed
  8. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    winAmp has ipod support...thats all I know of
  9. TearsOfFire

TearsOfFire New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only problem with MM is that it can't deal with videos. If you want to transfer both vids and music, I'd recommend WinAMP.