Anti-cracking measures?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by sageDieu, Mar 26, 2010.

1. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm a noob with developing but I am an upcoming App Store application. The guy I'm working with is a big anti-piracy guy and has tasked me with figuring out a way/some ways to stop crackers from distributing his app for free. I was wondering if anybody here could shed some light on the subject. I know you may not want to release your ideas in public, so a PM would be appreciated, Thanks!

[studangerous has given permission for this thread - keep it legal pls]
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    uh....this is still piracy related...which is against teh rules............

mods?
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Make the app free.

However, leave the user with pretty much nothing until they use the in-app purchase option to unlock anything else that is included in the application.

The only problem I can see with that would be ignorant people giving 1 star for doing so.
    (I don't know if it's possible to pirate those, too... So this idea may not help)

EDIT: Darn. My idea is useless.

Please Register or Log in to view images

@narwal: Nah, this is okay.
    @Mods: If my post seemed 'sketchy,' please edit it. I don't want any trouble.

4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My advise to you is make the app as good as possible, good quality app, well priced and worth the money. that way you will keep piracy numbers as low as possible

No matter how well you patched the app, it will get cracked, i am sorry to tell you that, that is just how things are. There are many recent examples but i am not sure if i can go that far in detail because of the rules

The only product i can think off that has not been cracked yet is beejive because it has server checks every-time you use the app

@Mods: If my post seemed 'sketchy' please edit it. I don't want any trouble

5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, the piracy rates for Beejive were so rampant that they had to introduce features to stop it. Their solution was to permanently blacklist those devices from their server. Which is a shame really, because I bought Beejive when it came out, and it's an amazingly good instant messenger (the best in my opinion).

The sad truth is though, your application will be cracked. You could try talking to Skylar, he came up with some anti-cracking methods of his own, not sure how willing he would be to share though.

Beat piracy by making your app free.

EDIT: I'm going to leave this thread open for now, anti-piracy measures should be helpful for all developers. However, I'm going to be keeping an eye on it, so keep it within the rules.
  6. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah i talked to Skylar and he helped a little but didn't go into any detail. And this thread is cleared with stu, I gave him a link so he will also be monitoring it.
  7. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I do remember the Beejive IM app having anti piracy security when version 3.0 of the app came out. There was a lot of n00bs asking "Why is there a PC load letter error?"
    Thread:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160563

Maybe you could see how beejive's security works and use it somehow based on the info. I don't really know anything about developing apps and toolchain/SDK stuff... But just a suggestion

More info on google:
    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=PC LOAD letter beejive im&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  8. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well, sorry to say, in-app purchases can also be pirated, and it's not very hard either.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    One anti-cracking measure is verifying the user's UUID with all the UUIDs with confirmed purchases. It's been done in SGN games and BeeJive.

And Meikura, only ~1/15 apps in the whole store get cracked (depending on popularity)
  9. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    but most people dont know how to do it.
  10. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Actually BeeJive just checks once, and any UUID mismatch will cause a permanent blacklist! So even if u do whatever to re-get the app or whatever, it will never work.

MODS should i get rid of this? ^^^
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Uh no most people unintentionally do it... I wont expand on what i mean by that, b/c its against the rules.