Antennas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nomar1245, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I'm watching the Keynote now for the first time, because I've been busy at work, and I just saw why there is the slits in the sides of the case, and thought I would post and share here because no one else has.

The stainless steel casing is used as multiple antennas.

The left side is for WiFi and Bluetooth and the right is for the network.

I don't know how much it will help but I very much like the efforts they've seemed to go to to make reception better on this phone, but adding the glass casing and these two "hidden" antennas.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the alarming rate that AT&T drops calls, or if Apple simply just wanted to make it better.
  2. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes and everyone probably knows about it

Please Register or Log in to view images

It might be more effective antenna since it's pure metal outside
  3. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I can't help it. Little thing's like that make me appreciate things much more. I like knowing companies have put in the time to not over look things.

Apple could have easily said, "Glass casing will get better signal. No sense in doing anything else," and been done with it.
  4. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would imagine that part of it was also the design of the phone to begin with. It probably helped for saving internal space as well as allowed them to use different components in the casing -- remember that they've gone to a plastic back in the past specifically because of reception.