[ANSWERS] What is going on with the new Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by H3X, Mar 30, 2008.

1. H3X

H3X New Member

Ok, so you have seen this video about a jailbreak that uses the PWNED software to crack the bootloader. The new software will be coming out today (March 30th) and will make it so you can use the 1.2 software on an unregistered device. Here's a FAQ I made:

Q: How does this new software work?
    A: Essentially what this does is crack the bootloader(basically the BIOS of the iPhone/iPod Touch) to allow firmwares with invalid checksums to run. Basically what a checksum is is a seemimgly random set of digits and letters. Apple put this in their bootloader to calculate the checksum of the firmware, then compare it with an encrypted checksum stored in the firmware itself. In other words, it makes sure things that are not supposed to run don't run.

Q: Will this new software be safe to use?
    A: Yes, if it does what is advertised. Remember, the only way you can break your ipod is if you or a piece of software flash the iphone the wrong way. This means when a piece of software is flashing the bootloader, and it somehow fails, your iPhone or iPod is done because it will not be able to load the main OS or the recovery OS. This software seems to do quite a bit of flashing, so be careful.

Q: Will this be available for iPod Touch?

A: Yup, but not right at the launch. They have to do a little more work to get it on the touch. Be patient, it will hopefully come out in the next few days.

Q: Will my iPhone/iPod still be jailbroken?
    A: Yeah, actually, I believe the jailbreak is required. So no luck for the people who just want the non-jailbroken 1.2 software.

Q: Will the new App Store work?
    A: No, Apple has disabled the app store in 1.2. It would be almost impossible to get the app store running without the source code for it.

Q: So, what do I get with the new jailbreak?
    A: Nothing much that meets the eyes, actually. All that you will seemingly get is new settings, and a few other cool features.

Q:Will it be worth it to jailbreak on the new firmware?
    A: Probably not if you are happy with 1.1.3/1.1.4. But lets say you are on 1.1.1 and are planning on upgrading. I would try using this. But don't feel the need to upgrade if you have 50 apps installed on a ZiPhone etc. jailbroken 1.1.4 or 1.1.3.
    1 person likes this.
  2. lasttouch

lasttouch New Member

?, only 1.2 (2.0)?
    i thought you can make your "own" ipsw-file. so you dont need 1.2.
  3. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    is this only on mac or also on pc
  4. lasttouch

lasttouch New Member

5. jadphoto

jadphoto New Member

So how do we get 1.2? Its not on a ******* is it?
  6. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I believe that it will support Windows and iPod touches when it is released today, according to KingChronic.
  7. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  8. jadphoto

jadphoto New Member

Yup, delayed. But hey, Im sure none of us expected it to be released to day anyway, so its not really that big of a deal. Next week!
  9. H3X

H3X New Member

Thanks.

And this does allow you to make your own iPSW file, but the main purpose will be making the 1.2 firmware usable for all.
  10. tee6m

tee6m New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch