[Answers] Getting the right Dock: Customize Fix, SMBPrefs, and Advanced Preferences.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SkylarEC, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It seems there is some confusion as a result of all the new tweaks regarding the Dock. I have decided to give a little briefdown of the how the Dock works,

Given the naming system, I believe that the default dock that both the iPhone and the iPod had was the "New" style, the iPod style. I only say this because the actual png for this is called SBDockBG.png, while the png for the dashboard style, aka iPhone style dock is SBDockBG2.png. Amongst other things, Mobile OS X when it's told to look for the SBDockBG, there is more done. The albeit it only a slight more. It also has to call upon SBDockMask to create the icon's reflection mask. While calling SBDockBG2, the OS simply moves the icon text down slightly on the screen.

Onto Customize and my patch. Obviously, being an iPhone application, it only knows about SBDockBG2. And that is the only png it changes. My patch for Customize edits its paths and allows it to change SBDockBG, rather than SBDockBG2.

Onto the New Dock switch. It switches whether the springboard looks for SBDockBG2 or SBDockBG (as well as the according rules). Having an SBDockBG2 png set as SBDockBG will show no change upon flipping the switch and starting over, as the image remains the same.

Onto SMBPrefs. As we all know, it can over the standard dock image with an image inside of a theme (Dock.png). After investigation, we also know that selecting a theme always displays that theme's Dock regardless of whether or not SpringBoard is trying to call SBDockBG2 or SBDockBG.

Back to my CustomizeFix. When I first became aware that there was an issue, i added in a back up directly into Customize. If you tap on Customize and tap into Dock Background; you can scroll down into the BackUp section and see a small little rectangle above the iPhone Dock. I realise that it looks like an error of some sort becasue it is small, rectangle, left justified, and all the way at the top of its respective slot in the BackUp section, but know that this is the backup in question. Select this and your iPod/iPhone will revert to the SBDockBG, ie, the iPod dock after your next respring/reboot.

So, what will you see when you reboot? It depends on your SMBPrefs settings. If you have Theme Dock off, then you will see the standard iPod Dock there in all its glory. If you have Theme Dock turned on, then you will have the current theme's dock placed into the appropriate position. Ie, the iPod will look and function exactly as it did before you installed the Customize Fix.

Which brings us back around to the New Dock switch in Advanced Settings. Since the Customize Fix has been reset by selecting the back up rectangle, it too will function as standard. meaning that it will now switch between the two appropriate Dock calls.

To sum up
    Advanced Preferences
    • New Dock ON = SBDockBG
    • New Dock OFF = SBDockBG2

SMBPrefs - The skinned dock. Recommended - use this mostly.
    • Theme Dock ON = All docks get replaced with Dock.png
    • Theme Dock OFF = Standard SBDockBG or SBDockBG2 is used and not skinned.

Customize (Dock Style)
    • Patched/Small Rectangle = iPod Dock (changeable via Switch)
    • Patched/All Other Docks = iPhone Dock (not changeable via Switch)
    • Not Patched/Small Rectangle = iPod Dock (iPhone Only) (not changeable via Switch)
    • Not Patched/All Other Docks = iPhone Dock (iPhone only) (changeable via Switch)

Known issues: Solutions
    • Why is my Dock so high?
      Your Dock is high because SpringBoard is calling SBDockBG2, yet your theme has an image designed to be used with SBDockBG. To fix, go into Customize and select the Small Black rectangle located in the BackUp section of Dock Background. Reboot.
      [*]After turning on Theme Dock in SMBPrefs, all I can see is the top of my Dock.
      Your Dock is high because SpringBoard is calling SBDockBG, yet your theme has an image designed to be used with SBDockBG2. To fix, go into Customize and select the iPhone Dock located in the BackUp section of Dock Background. Reboot.
    • When I turn off New Dock, I get two iPod docks stacked on top of each other.
      This happens because SpringBoard is looking for SBDockBG2, yet the image set for it is SBDockBG. Go into Customize and select the iPhone Dock located in the BackUp section of Dock Background. Reboot.

If there are any other Dock issues, please report them in this thread, and I will do my best to address them.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gnr69

gnr69 New Member

Skylar, you're probably the most helpful person in this forum, trust me.

Thank you, very much.
  3. pared

pared New Member

Tag'd for info later.

Thanks.
  4. malavi

malavi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Plzz help me skylar!

hey dude! I have a problem with my dock (im on 1.1.2 jb), i know that i have to install customizefix to solve the problem.... So please culd u send me it or make a new repo with only that package? Its very important for me! Thnx
  5. Bobby1973

Bobby1973 New Member

ok where do i get Advanced Preferences i had it installed on my 8 gig but i cant locate it on my 16

6. Pzippy

Pzippy New Member

In customize, when I go to the dock images, I don't seem to have the original iPod one.
  7. sumter554

sumter554 New Member

yea, how do i get the original ipod dock (1.1.1)
  8. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Skylar. im on 1.1.2. i dont see that back up image in customize. theres only one image in there. whatever i do in advanced settings i only ever see that small reflecting dock. do you know how i can make the larger one appear? (im thinking about the leather theme where the dock comes up and covers the icons)

please help

thanks
  9. sangesf

sangesf New Member

I have an 8 GB JB'n with 1.1.3.

How can I get the good 'ole reflective dock?
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks, for posting. My dock was being displayed too high, but I've fixed it now.