[Answers] 1.1.3 applications and you.

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by SkylarEC, Jan 19, 2008.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

So, you have firmware 1.1.3 and just spent the $20 on a set of shiny new Applications, and now you have some basic questions. Well, here are some basic answers to the most asked questions.

• What happens when I Update my iPod to a newer firmware version, do I get to keep my Applications, or do I have to pay again?
      Due to the magic of digital rights management, or DRM, iTunes is smart enough to know that you have already purchased the Applications and won't make you pay again.
    • Well, what if I have to restore my iPod and completely start form scratch?
      Again, we can thank our friend DRM for telling iTunes that you already purchased the Applications, and that it should go ahead and install them upon restore. Luckily, DRM keeps all of its information stored on your computer, as well as your iPod. Thanks, DRM
    • Can I sync my friend/brother/azalea's iPod up to my computer and sync the Applications to their iPod?
      Unfortunately, no. The DRM is also smart enough to know that unauthorized devices should not be messing with your stuff and will not allow the applications to be installed on anybody else's iPod but yours. Why should those freeloaders profit off of your $20.00?
    • What if I authorize their iPod to use/play/watch things purchased with my account?
      Sorry, your friend is out of luck. DRM knows which iPod is yours because it ties its information to your iPod's serial number. Only the iPod you purchased the Applications for can use them. -- It appears that I was given misinformation from the Apple support person. And it looks like it the Applications are synced by account and not serial number.
    • Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! Does this mean that I have to buy these applications once for every iPod that I own!?
      Unfortunately, yes. Yes it does.
    • Is there any way around this?
      Why yes, yes there is. You will need to downgrade to an earlier firmware version, 1.1.2 or earlier, and wait for the Dev Team to release the ported 1.1.3 applications.

Hope this helped, and as always, enjoy!

Source: Apple.
    2 people like this.
  2. lol89

lol89 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the verification
  3. what0080

what0080 New Member

Thanks for clearing things up...SkylarEC... You deserve something for that...
  4. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    LOL!! xD (10char limit)
  5. ricthar

ricthar New Member

Glad you're here to keep us up to date. Get tired of reading the same old possts (redone) every 5 minutes.
    Thanks
  6. starmatrix

starmatrix Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.. hopefully this should clear up a lot of the questions people have.
  7. NUCLEaR

NUCLEaR New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, yesterday I gave my iTunes account info to a friend, and he was able to sync his iPod with the applications.
  8. SkylarEC

That's interesting, because according to Apple, the DRM is tied into the serial number as well as the account information.
  9. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

I don't think you're right about that one, actually. I remember glancing at the terms and conditions for the January pack (who actually reads the whole of those things? Only paranoid people and lawyers...) and one of the first clauses was something along these lines:

"You may only intall this application pack on iPod[ touc]]s owned by you, and you are permitted to make one backup copy of it in a machine-readable form."

Either way, the terms implied that the $20 purchase allowed you to use it on multiple iPods.
  10. SkylarEC

Hmm... I got my information straight from the Apple Support people. It's quite possible that i was given misinformation, as they have been ill informed before.