Answer me a few things...(+REP)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by JonnySK, May 4, 2008.

1. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First:
    i just jailbroke my iPod on 1.1.4 for the first time for a while, and i installed terminal, but whenever i type in a command (eg. chown mobile -R /var/mobile/Library/Cookies/) it says permission denied... any ideas?

second:
    Could someone explain to me what "Cydia" is and what it does

Thanks in advance, +Rep for ANY help
  2. hgkeh

hgkeh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's because you're not loggin as root. Try using "su -" or sudo command
    1 person likes this.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You need to login to terminal as root.

Cydia is an alternative to using the BSD Subsystem. It is not a replacement for Installer.
  4. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i tried typing in root and it said command not found

when i first installed terminal -vt100 (on ipod) it came up with a dollar sign
  5. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 New Member

type in "su root" without the quotation marks... it will then ask you for a password. the password is "alpine" unless you changed it, which I assume you didn't since you just jailbroke it

again... type "su root" then "alpine"

you're now logged in as root, with full permissions, so you should be able to input any valid commands and do whatever you want, just make sure you know what you're doing

NOTE: depending on what you used to jailbreak your ipod, "alpine" might not work as the password, and I don't know how to fix that. if you jailbreak with ziphone 3.0, you won't be able to log in as root without fixing it somehow.... I had that problem and had to rejailbreak with iLiberty+ instead (which i think is better anyway) so that I could use terminal commands

cydia was designed to be a replacement for installer, but is not yet at that point... most people use either just installer, or both installer and cydia... no one really uses just cydia because, although more powerful and faster than installer, it is still underdeveloped. even the creator of cydia uses both it and installer. It's best to have both and install what you can using cydia, but for the things that you can't yet find on cydia, you should use installer.
    1 person likes this.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I must have updated my term-vt100 and now I have this also. Before I had to use only the password. I used Pwnage Tool and the alpine password no longer works after using su root login
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Cydia is like installer in which you install stuff. However, most of the stuff is developer stuff, you can't add sources (at my last check). However, source refrehing is fast and you can scroll a lot faster by letter.
    1 person likes this.
  8. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1 person likes this.
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, now Installer has a lot of new features that match Cydia. You can search now and it refreshes faster.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Rep returned.