Another wet iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Clint Cart, May 12, 2010.

1. Clint Cart

Clint Cart New Member

Well...
    My son and I were sitting at the kitchen table when he accidentally tipped over his cup of water and soaked my iPod.
    So I checked it in the earphone jack and it's got the red line in it, put it in a bad of rice for two days and it's dried out now. So it does respond to itunes and I reset it through itunes and it will charge from my PC. What it doesn't do is respond to my touch and will not dock with my Alpine deck in my car.
    The battery also does not want to keep a charge.
    I'm not afraid to take it apart and replace parts in it, I have looked into a screen, can I replace the battery too? Will that maybe fix the docking problem? If not can any of you fine people tell me what to replace inside it? School me in what you think I should do.

Thanks in advance.
    Clint.
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well there are so many places were water could hide and affect the ipod in many ways. Have you ever taken ipod apart? there are so many things you can screw up if you dont properly replace it back.
    Its your ipod, do whatever you want to it. But just...

Consider yourself warned.

Also there has been a thread already about a dock connector. go back a few pages in this part of the forum, it should be there.
  3. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The screen won't be that hard to replace, but I'm not so sure about the battery. Try a trick to turn in white again, and if that doesnt help you might have to get a new iPod. Sorry.
  4. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah apple, doesnt fix water damaged, broken screens, jailbroken ipods, and i think batterys? the most common things they dont fix so they could make the most money.
  5. Clint Cart

Clint Cart New Member

Well my iPod is a year and a half old and I will not be sending it to apple to fix. I'm just wondering what I need to replace in order to repair it.
    What might not let it dock? Anyone figure out why the battery drains so quickly anfter they get wet?
    I will replace the screen first and go from there.

I'm not all thumbs I have done this kind of thing before.

Please Register or Log in to view images

If all goes well here in Saskatchewan Canada the cell phone provider I use here (Sasktel) will have their 3G network running and I will be one of the first in line for an iPhone. We have had them here for a few years but with Rogers and thier coverage is not great.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I personally would have left it in the rice for more than 2 days... problems with the touch screen, comm port and battery all suggest there's still a water short in there. Power down and put back in rice.

On the battery side, I noticed a significant loss in battery capacity due to water damage after I dropped my iPhone in the toilet.
  7. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Inwoudl most likely say the battery=stuffed, screen=stuffed.. so maybe try and find online somewhere for a DIY ipod repair kit.
  8. Clint Cart

Clint Cart New Member

Well I haven't looked at the touch for a couple of weeks and today I was able to get it to sync to iTunes and I was able to restore it. It still needs a screen as it won't respond to my touch but it will now sync with my Alpine CD player in my car and I can play songs from it by selecting them through the CD player, I use it in my car alot so this is good enough for me now. Going to buy a screen and battery on Ebay soon.

9. Aritouch1

Aritouch1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mine is only a few months old and it fell from my nightstand into a cup of water underneath my nightstand. So RANDOM...so out of the way. Only half of it fell in and I'm having the same problem as you Clint. I can sync to iTunes...and it has a backlight, buttons work fine, it's just the touch feature that is completely gone.

My incident is a couple days old, so I'm hopeful I can get it fixed. Mine is under warranty so I might try taking it to the apple store.
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Aritouch, trying to fix the problem yourself, as the OP is attempting is fine, but we will not under no circumstances condone any attempt to dry the iPod out for the purpose of defrauding Apple out of a new iPod.

Apple will not cover water damage. Ultimately, I believe that both of you might be better off buying a new device. If you do attempt to repair the device, you can purchase broken devices for their parts fairly inexpensively. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...w=broken iPod touch&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Also, ifixit.com has step by step teardowns of all generation iPod touch and iPhone devices (likely iPad too, but I haven't checked). This would be a good place to start for disassembly/reassembly and estimating the difficulty level of your fixes. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-Touch-3rd-Generation-Teardown/1158/1

Good luck!
    : )